Autism Medical Reference
What Is Hyposensitivity?
- What Is Facilitated Communication?
What is facilitated communication, and who should use it? Find the answers to these questions and more in our guide.
- AAC: Augmentative and Alternative Communication for Autism
What is augmentative and alternative communication for autism, and how does it help? Read our guide to find out!
- What to Know About Autism Spectrum Disorder in Teens
Find out more about navigating a diagnosis of autism in the teenage years and learn about the concerns your teen might have about the transition to adulthood.
- What to Know About Potty Training for Children With Autism
What should you know about potty training children with autism? Potty training issues, signs of readiness, and more.
- What You Need to Know About Stimming and Autism
Stimming is a form of self-regulation. Learn more about the risks, benefits, and how it can impact your health.
- Asperger’s: Symptoms and Signs
What is Asperger’s, and how is it different from other types of autism? Learn the signs of Asperger’s syndrome and what to do if your child is diagnosed with Asperger’s.
- Conditions That May Look Like Autism, but Aren’t
Just because it may look like autism doesn't mean it is. It could be one of these things.
- How Do Doctors Diagnose Autism?
It's not always easy for a doctor to make a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder. If you suspect your child has an ASD, there are a number of questions you may expect your pediatrician and specialists to ask.
- What Are the Types of Autism Spectrum Disorders?
WebMD explains autism spectrum disorders, including Asperger's syndrome, Rett syndrome, PDD-NOS, and childhood disintegrative disorder.
- What Are the Treatments for Autism?
Although there’s no cure for autism, there are different treatments that can help manage symptoms. Learn how various treatments can help with behaviors, communication, and more.
- Can Adults Get Diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum?
Autism awareness for children has exploded in recent years. But what about the people who fell through the cracks years ago, when they were kids? Here’s how to go about getting an autism diagnosis as an adult.
- Therapies for Autism Spectrum Disorder
Therapies for autism spectrum disorder vary but they’re proven to be successful. Which could be the right treatment for your child?
- What Are Causes and Symptoms of Autism?
The causes of autism aren’t clear. But the symptoms are not hard to spot. The key often is watching for developmental milestones. Learn about the signs of autism.
- What are Pervasive Developmental Disorders?
Pervasive developmental disorders (PDDs) are now called autism spectrum disorder. Find out what it means.
- Rett Syndrome: What to Know
Rett syndrome is a rare neurological disease that affects mostly girls. Learn the symptoms and how this disorder is treated.
- Parenting a Child on the Autism Spectrum
Your child on the autistic spectrum needs a lot of your time, but you need time for yourself, too. Learn about ways to re-energize yourself.
- What Is High-Functioning Autism?
Someone with high-functioning autism might not seem "autistic." What's the difference between high-functioning autism and classic autism?
- Which Therapies Can Help With Autism?
Though autism has no cure, there are many therapies that reduce symptoms and improve quality of life. Learn which ones are proven to help.
- Can You Prevent Autism?
There’s a lot of talk in the media about autism -- especially about what causes it. But can you prevent it? WebMD examines the myths and the truth.
- Do Vaccines Cause Autism?
There’s a lot of talk in the media about vaccines and autism. Are they linked? WebMD sorts fact from fiction.
- Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) for Autism
WebMD explains Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) for children with autism, including elibility requirements and the process of creating an IEP.
- Gluten-Free/Casein-Free Diets for Autism
WebMD explains the theory behind the gluten-free/casein-free (GFCF) diet for autism.
- Helping Your Child With Autism Get a Good Night's Sleep
Children with autism may have trouble sleeping -- and that affects the whole family. WebMD explains how to help your child -- and yourself -- get a good night's sleep.
- Parenting a Child With Autism
Learn more from WebMD about treatment options for your autistic child.
- Asperger's Syndrome
Learn about the symptoms and treatment of Asperger's, a type of autism spectrum disorder that affects social skills.
- What Is Autism?
As the name indicates, autism spectrum disorder includes a number of conditions with different symptoms. Learn about what autism is and how it’s diagnosed.