Autism News & Features
About 1 in 3 Toddlers With Autism ‘Outgrow’ Disorder: Study
- Preschool Ear, Nose, and Throat Problems Linked with Autism
April 26, 2023 — Very young children who have common ear and upper respiratory problems appear to have an increased risk of being diagnosis of autism or showed high levels of autism traits, according to a new study.
- Milder Autism Cases Increasing Faster Than ‘Profound’ Diagnoses
April 20, 2023 — Researchers examined the medical and school records of 20,000 8-year-olds on the autism spectrum between 2000 and 2016. They found that profound cases are still rising, just at a slower level than those with milder symptoms.
- U.S. Autism Diagnoses Trending Upward: CDC
March 24, 2023 — The upward trend of autism diagnoses in children continues, with 1 in 36 U.S. 8-year-olds identified as having the disorder in 2020, according to newly released CDC data.
- Algorithm Can Spot Signs of Autism in Babies, Study Says
February 9, 2023 — Autism can be detected in children almost from birth using an algorithm to review their health records, a study from Duke University says.
- Autism Myths and Facts
What causes autism? Is it something only diagnosed in children? Get the facts on autism spectrum disorder.
- How Businesses Are Welcoming Children With Autism
These sensory-friendly events let kids with special needs take part in all the family fun.
- 'Sesame Street' Introduces First Character With Autism
The children's program is sharing a positive message of inclusion by welcoming Julia, a muppet with autism, to the cast.
- Ease Holiday Stress for Children With Autism
These tips can help your loved one stay calm amid the holiday chaos.
- The Flutie Family Tackles Autism
The famed quarterback's foundation raises money and awareness of the disorder.
- What It's Like to Have Autism
As a caregiver to someone with autism, you may be baffled by their behaviors. This guide explains what common autism symptoms mean and how to deal with them.
- Actor Gary Cole Spotlights Autism
Entourage star Gary Cole talks about his daughter’s autism and his work advocating for other autistic children.
- Raising a Child with Asperger’s Syndrome: Mary Walsh’s Story
The condition, similar to autism, requires patience from parents, structure, and sometimes a special dog.
- Autism in the Classroom
When your child has an autism spectrum disorder (ASD), for example Asperger's syndrome, school can be difficult. Autism in the classroom is something that’s hard for teachers, parents, and the child with the ASD to deal with.
- Autism and Family Relationships
Having a child with autism affects the entire family. WebMD asked the experts what families can expect after a child is diagnosed with autism. Here's what they said about five common issues and about how families can cope with them and thrive.
- FAQ: Vaccine Court Hears Autism Cases
Contrary to media reports, a federal court has not yet issued any decisions on whether vaccines cause autism. Here's WebMD's FAQ.
- Autism Cases on the Rise; Reason for Increase a Mystery
As the number of children with autism spectrum disorder appears to increase, scientists are working feverishly trying to find out why. Research focuses on genetics, environmental factors.
- Gene May Be Involved in Autism
May 3, 2006 — A new study shows that a certain gene may be involved in autism.
- Autism and Technical Smarts
People with high-functioning autism and Asperger's syndrome can be adept at technical jobs such as engineering or Internet-related jobs.
- On the Cutting Edge of Autism Treatment
WebMD provides information about early autism treatment that involves imagination and playtime with kids.