Children's Health Medical Reference
What Is Mirror Hand Syndrome?
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: How to Get Support
One of the best things you can do to support yourself and your child is to build connections with others who understand what you’re going through.
- Monitoring Symptoms of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
Keeping track of your child's symptoms and abilities helps ensure they get the therapies they need as soon as possible.
- Therapies to Help With DMD Symptoms
Learn how occupational, physical, swallowing, and other therapies can help people with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Understanding Medical Treatments for DMD
There’s no cure for Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), but there are treatments that can help.
- The Challenges of Caregiving for People With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
Caring for a child with Duchenne can be challenging and rewarding. Learn ways to manage the emotional and financial toll it can take on caregivers.
- What Is a Labial Fusion?
A labial fusion occurs when the inner lips of the vagina are fused together. Find out more about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for a labial fusion.
- What Is Maroteaux-Lamy Syndrome?
Maroteaux-Lamy syndrome is a rare congenital condition that causes you to be born with a mutated ARSB gene. It’s a progressive condition that causes your tissues and organs to become enlarged and break down over time.
- What to Know About Parent Empowerment for Children With Disabilities
Find out what you need to know about parent empowerment for children with disabilities and discover parental empowerment strategies.
- What Is Pragmatic Language Disorder?
Pragmatic language disorder is a condition in which someone has trouble with appropriate social communication. Learn about the signs and treatment options.
- What Is Ambiguous Genitalia?
Learn about ambiguous genitalia, symptoms, side effects, what to expect, and more.
- What Is Fraser Syndrome?
Find out all you need to know about Fraser syndrome along with life expectancy, symptoms, and treatments.
- What Is Chimerism?
Find out what chimerism is and understand its symptoms and causes.
- How to Plan for Your Child's Discharge From a Psychiatric Hospitalization
Your child’s discharge from psychiatric hospitalization is a positive step. Learn more about creating a safe space for your child at home after discharge.
- What to Know About Still's Murmur
Learn about Still's murmur, including what it looks like and how it affects the body.
- What To Know About a Speech Sound Disorder in Children
Has your child been diagnosed with a speech sound disorder and you're wondering what that means? Read our guide to find out all about this condition.
- What Is Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder?
Find out about disruptive mood dysregulation disorder, including what it is, how it's diagnosed, and how it's treated.
- What Is Selective Mutism?
Find out about the symptoms of selective mutism — an anxiety disorder that prevents people (usually children) from speaking in specific situations.
- Taking Control of Your Child’s SMA in the Doctor’s Office
If your child has spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), learn more about how to be a good advocate by asking the right questions and finding the right care team.
- What to Know About Cornelia de Lange Syndrome
Cornelia de Lange Syndrome is a rare genetic disorder. Learn more about its symptoms, treatment, and prognosis.
- What Is a Neural Tube Defect?
A neural tube defect is a severe birth defect of the brain or spine. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options available for this condition today.
- What Is a Waardenburg Syndrome?
What is Waardenburg syndrome? Learn more about this rare genetic condition that affects hearing.
- What Is Rubinstein-Taybi Syndrome?
Has your child been diagnosed with Rubinstein-Taybi Syndrome? Read our guide to find out all about this rare disorder.
- What Is Multiple Hereditary Exostosis?
Find out what you need to know about multiple hereditary exostoses. Discover what a diagnosis could mean and how it may affect your health.
- What Is Klippel-Feil Syndrome?
Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for Klippel-Feil syndrome today.
- What Is Kabuki Syndrome?
Find out about Kabuki syndrome, and discover what causes it and how Kabuki syndrome is diagnosed and treated.
- What to Know About Human Parainfluenza Viruses
Find out what you need to know about human parainfluenza viruses and how they may impact your child's health.
- What is Prune Belly Syndrome?
Prune Belly Syndrome is a birth defect that causes many problems. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for this condition today.
- What Is a Pediatric Otolaryngologist?
Find out what you need to know about a pediatric otolaryngologist, including what they treat and why your child might need to see one.
- What Is a Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrician?
A developmental-behavioral pediatrician assesses development and behavior and suggests remedies when necessary. Learn when you should consult one for your child.
- What to Know About Saline Solution for Children
Find out what saline solution is, how and why it’s used in children, and how to safely prepare it at home.
- What to Know About Pyloromyotomy in Children
Find out more about pyloromyotomy in children, learn how the pyloromyotomy procedure works, and understand whether it might be appropriate for your child.
- What to Know About Numbing Creams for Your Child's Injections
What is numbing cream for needles? Find out if numbing cream can make your child's next injection less painful.
- What Is Urethral Prolapse in Girls?
Urethral prolapse is when the urethra protrudes from the urinary opening. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for this condition.
- What Is a Cough Assist Machine for Children?
Find out when a cough assist machine is used and how it can help children.
- What Is Thumb Hypoplasia and Aplasia?
Learn about thumb hypoplasia and aplasia. Discover what causes this condition and how it's treated.
- What Is Tethered Cord Syndrome?
Tethered cord syndrome is a neurological condition caused by tissues that limit spinal cord movement. Learn more about the symptoms and possible treatments.
- What Is Coarctation of the Aorta in Children?
Coarctation of the aorta is a congenital heart defect in children. Learn more about what causes it, what to expect, and more.
- What to Know About Fingernail Infection in Children
Learn more about paronychia, or fingernail infection in children, including how to care for it at home.
- What to Know About Delayed Puberty
Find out what you need to know about delayed puberty and its causes in boys and girls. Learn about the treatment options available.
- What to Know About an Enema for Your Child at Home
Find out what you need to know about pediatric enemas, and discover their risks, benefits, and how they may affect health.
- What Is "22q11.2" Deletion Syndrome?
22q11.2 deletion syndrome is a genetic disorder causing disorders of the heart, brain, and other systems. Learn about its treatment and how to prevent it.
- What Is Supraglottoplasty?
Find out what you need to know about supraglottoplasty and discover its risks and benefits.
- What Is Pilomatrixoma in Children?
Learn about pilomatrixomas in children. Discover what causes this type of benign tumor and how it's treated.
- What Is a Periacetabular Osteotomy?
Periacetabular osteotomy is the most popular treatment for hip dysplasia. Learn about the steps involved, the recovery process, complications, and more.
- What Is Mosaicism?
Mosaicism develops when cells within the same person are genetically different. Find out what causes these differences, how it may affect you, and more.
- What Is a Vesicostomy for Children?
A vesicostomy is performed on children to protect their kidneys from damage. Learn why and how it is done and about its care at home.
- What Is a Buckle Fracture in Children?
Buckle fractures are incomplete fractures of bones and happen mainly in children. Learn about their causes, symptoms, and treatment options.
- What Are Translocations?
Translocations are when chromosomes break and the pieces attach to different chromosomes. Learn about the disorders caused by this genetic reassortment.
- What to Know About Canker Sores in Children
Find out what causes canker sores in children and learn how you can help your child if these painful mouth ulcers keep coming back after treatment.