Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
1) Eraxion / Thinkstock
2) Yuri_Arcurs / Getty Images
3) RusN / Thinkstock
4) Frederick Bass / Getty Images
5) SciePro / Science Source
6) Richard Goerg / Getty Images
7) (Left to right) kieferpix / Thinkstock, Natali_Mis / Thinkstock
8) INTELECOM / Science Source
9) M. I. Walker / Science Source
10) Jim Dowdalls / Science Source
11) (Left to right) Biophoto Associates / Science Source, Biophoto Associates / Science Source
12) Science Photo Library - STEVE GSCHMEISSNER / Getty Images
13) KATERYNA KON / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY / Getty Images
14) Evan Oto / Science Source
15) Nerthuz / Thinkstock
16) Pasieka / Science Source
17) Dennis Kunkel Microscopy / Science Source
18) REB Images / Getty Images
19) ISM / Jean-Claude RÉVY / Medical Images
20) Véronique Burger / Science Source
Merck Manual: Consumer Version: "Overview of the Immune System," "Innate Immunity," "Acquired Immunity," "Overview of Allergic Reactions."
Johns Hopkins Medicine: "Immune System."
PubMed Health: "Autoimmune Disease."
Reviewed by Nayana Ambardekar, MD on May 30, 2020
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.