What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering BROMPHENIRAMINE-PSEUDOEPHED-DM to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Only When Necessary:
- Only When Necessary: FDA C W/COMBO PROD; POSS RISK OF GASTROSCHISIS/SIA WITH 1ST TRIMESTER EXPOSURE
- Only When Necessary: BROMPHENIRAMINE TANNATE FDA CATEGORY C, BROMPHENIRAMINE MALEATE CATEGORY B.
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: INSUFFICIENT DATA AVAILABLE; MOLECULAR WT LOW ENOUGH FOR POSSIBLE EXCRETION
- Precaution: MAY DECREASE MILK SUPPLY, AND CAUSE IRRITABILITY
- Precaution: NOT RECOMMENDED. MAY CAUSE PARADOXICAL EXCITATION/INHIBIT LACTATION.
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Cardiovascular-Elderly are more sensitive to tachycardia and hypertensive effects. May exacerbate symptomatic coronary insufficiency. Genitourinary-May cause urinary retention. Neuro/Psych-May worsen cognitive impairment in some elderly with dementia. Insomnia risk.
- management or monitoring precaution: Neuro/Psych-Anticholinergic effects may cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Non-sedating agents preferred. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Genitourinary-Best avoided in patients with urinary retention from any cause.
Giving BROMPHENIRAMINE-PSEUDOEPHED-DM to a child under 12
- Contraindication: Do not use in pediatrics <6 years of age unless clinician consultation. Avoid using with underlying asthma.
- Contraindication: Do not use in pediatrics <6 years of age unless clinician consultation.
- Severe Precaution: Use of OTC formulation requires clinician consultation for age <6 years. Risk of adverse CNS effects, decreased alertness, paradoxical excitation. Do not use with asthma.
- Contraindication: Infants and small children at increased risk of CNS adverse events, seizure, hallucination, decreased alertness. Should not use with underlying asthma. Alternate methods suggested for treating cough and cold symptoms in this age group.
- Contraindication: High risk of adverse CNS effects. Not recommended for use age < 6 years.
- Contraindication: Possible CNS excitation, convulsions in newborns.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.