This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Severe. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects and are usually not taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Ciprofloxacin may slow down how quickly your liver processes tizanidine.
What might happen:
The amount of tizanidine in your blood may increase and cause more side effects than normal, including severe low blood pressure and drowsiness.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know right away that you are using these medicines together. Let your doctor know if you have any fainting or dizziness episodes. Your doctor may want to change the dose of your tizanidine. Use caution when performing tasks that require alertness.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Granfors MT, Backman JT, Neuvonen M, Neuvonen PJ. Ciprofloxacin greatly increases concentrations and hypotensive effect of tizanidine by inhibiting its cytochrome P450 1A2-mediated presystemic metabolism. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2004 Dec;76(6):598-606.
- 2.Zanaflex (tizanidine hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Acordia Therapeutics, Inc. November 7, 2013.
- 3.Cipro (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Bayer Corporation October 18, 2018.
- 4.Momo K, Homma M, Kohda Y, Ohkoshi N, Yoshizawa T, Tamaoka A. Drug interaction of tizanidine and ciprofloxacin: case report. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2006 Dec;80(6):717-9.
- 5.Phansalkar S, Desai AA, Bell D, Yoshida E, Doole J, Czochanski M, Middleton B, Bates DW. High-priority drug-drug interactions for use in electronic health records. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2012 Sep-Oct; 19(5):735-43.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.