This medication is used to treat conditions involving swelling (inflammation) of the eyes and to treat or prevent bacterial eye infections. This product contains neomycin and polymyxin, antibiotics that work by stopping the growth of bacteria. It also contains dexamethasone, an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid that works by reducing swelling.
This medication treats/prevents only bacterial eye infections. It will not work for other types of eye infections and may worsen them (e.g., infections caused by viruses, fungi, mycobacteria). Unnecessary use or overuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.
How to use Poly-Dex Ointment
To apply the eye ointment, wash your hands first. To avoid contamination, be careful not to touch the tube tip or let it touch your eye or any other surface. Tilt your head back, look upward, and pull down the lower eyelid to make a pouch. Place a 1/2 inch (1.5 centimeters) strip of ointment into the pouch by squeezing the tube gently. Close the eye and roll the eyeball in all directions to spread the medication. Try not to blink and do not rub the eye. Repeat these steps for your other eye if so directed. Wipe the tip of the ointment tube with a clean tissue to remove extra medication before recapping it. Apply as often as directed by your doctor.
If you are using another kind of eye medication (e.g., drops or ointments), apply the eye drops first and wait at least 5 minutes before applying this eye ointment. Use eye drops before eye ointments to allow the eye drops to enter the eye. If you are using another type of eye ointment, wait at least 10 minutes after using this medication before applying it.
Do not use this medication more often than prescribed or for longer than 10 days unless directed by your doctor.
Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same times each day. Continue to use this medication for the full time prescribed, even if symptoms disappear after a few days. Stopping the medication too soon may allow bacteria to continue to grow, which may result in a return of the infection.
Inform your doctor if your condition does not improve in a few days.
Stinging/burning of the eyes for 1 to 2 minutes or temporary blurred vision may occur when this medication is applied. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Use of this medication for prolonged/repeated periods may result in a new fungal eye infection and may increase your risk for other eye problems (e.g., glaucoma, cataracts, delayed wound healing). Do not use this medication for longer than prescribed. Tell your doctor right away if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: new or worsening eye symptoms (e.g., discharge, swelling, redness), vision problems, eye pain.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to neomycin, polymyxin, or dexamethasone; or to aminoglycoside antibiotics (e.g., gentamicin, tobramycin); or to corticosteroids (e.g., hydrocortisone, prednisone); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
After you apply this drug, your vision may become temporarily blurred. Do not drive, use machinery, or do any activity that requires clear vision until you are sure you can perform such activities safely.
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
It is not known if this drug passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use.
Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Do not share this medication with others.
This medication has been prescribed for your current condition only. Throw away the unused medication after treatment is completed. Do not use it later for another infection unless your doctor tells you to.
If you use this medication for 10 days or longer, laboratory and/or medical tests (e.g., eye exams) should be performed regularly to monitor your progress or check for side effects. Consult your doctor for more details.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose. Use your next dose at the regular time. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature between 59-86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C) away from heat. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.Information last revised June 2018. Copyright(c) 2018 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.
Are you taking Poly-Dex Ointment?
Are you considering switching to Poly-Dex Ointment?
How satisfied are you with the results?
Are you planning to see a doctor about switching your medication?
How long have you been taking Poly-Dex Ointment?
Are you planning to see a doctor about switching your medication?
Thanks for taking our survey!
Recommended For YouFind a doctor near you