Dakin's solution is used to prevent and treat skin and tissue infections that could result from cuts, scrapes and pressure sores. It is also used before and after surgery to prevent surgical wound infections.
Dakin's solution is a type of hypochlorite solution. It is made from bleach that has been diluted and treated to decrease irritation. Chlorine, the active ingredient in Dakin's solution, is a strong antiseptic that kills most forms of bacteria and viruses.
How to use Sodium Hypochlorite Solution
Pour, apply or spray onto the injured area. When used on wounds, Dakin's solution can be poured onto the affected area as an irrigation or cleanser. It is also used to wet certain types of wound dressings (e.g., wet to moist dressing). Follow your doctor's instructions exactly.
The body's own wound-healing tissues and fluids can decrease the antibacterial effect of Dakin's solution. Therefore, this solution is often used only once daily for minor wounds and twice daily for heavily draining or contaminated wounds. Use this product as directed by your doctor.
Inform your doctor if your condition does not improve or if it worsens. Discuss other treatment options with your doctor.
Redness, irritation, swelling, and pain may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
If your doctor has directed you to use this medication, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this product do not have serious side effects.
A very serious allergic reaction to this product is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to any chlorine compounds; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Your healthcare professionals (e.g., doctor or pharmacist) may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
This document does not contain all possible interactions. Therefore, before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Do not share this product with others.
This product may bleach clothing and other items.
Store at room temperature away from light and moisture. This product loses its strength if frozen or stored at high temperature. Keep the container tightly closed when not in use. Keep all medicines and medical supplies away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company.Information last revised July 2016. Copyright(c) 2016 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.