Select Indirect-Acting Sympathomimetics/Tricyclic Compounds Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
The cause of the interaction is not known. Tricyclic antidepressants may cause your body to process your other medicine differently.
What might happen:
Your tricyclic antidepressant may decrease the effects of your other medicine. This may cause a decrease in the beneficial effects.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) as soon as possible about taking these two medicines together. They may already be aware of this drug interaction and may be monitoring you for it. If your doctor prescribes these medicines together, it may be necessary to monitor your heart. Your doctor may need to adjust the dose or change you to a different medicine. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Boakes AJ, Laurence DR, Teoh PC, Barar FS, Benedikter LT, Prichard BN. Interactions between sympathomimetic amines and antidepressant agents in man. Br Med J 1973 Feb 10;1(5849):311-5.
- 2.Ghose K. Sympathomimetic amines and tricyclic antidepressant drugs. Neuropharmacology 1980 Dec;19(12):1251-4.
- 3.Svedmyr N. The influence of a tricyclic antidepressive agent (protriptyline) on some of the circulatory effects of noradrenaline and adrenaline in man. Life Sci 1968 Jan 1;7(1):77-84.
- 4.Bonaccorsi A, Garattini S. Effect of desipramine on directly or indirectly elicited catecholamine pressor responses in rats. J Pharm Pharmacol 1966 Jul;18(7):443-8.
- 5.Cairncross KD. On the peripheral pharmacology of amitriptyline. Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther 1965 Apr;154(2):438-48.
- 6.Ghose K, Gifford LA, Turner P, Leighton M. Studies of the interaction of desmethylimipramine with tyramine in man after a single oral dose, and its correlation with plasma concentration. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1976 Apr; 3(2):334-7.
- 7.Jefferson JW. A review of the cardiovascular effects and toxicity of tricyclic antidepressants. Psychosom Med 1975 Mar-Apr;37(2):160-79.
- 8.Ragheb M. Drug interactions in psychiatric practice. Int Pharmacopsychiatry 1981;16(2):92-118.
- 9.Risch SC, Groom GP, Janowsky DS. Interfaces of psychopharmacology and cardiology--part one. J Clin Psychiatry 1981 Jan;42(1):23-34.
- 10.Maxwell RA, Keenan PD, Chaplin E, Roth B, Eckhardt SB. Molecular features affecting the potency of tricyclic antidepressants and structurally related compounds as inhibitors of the uptake of tritiated norepinephrine by rabbit aortic strips. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1969 Apr;166(2):320-9.