Rarely, this medication can cause a serious (rarely fatal) allergic reaction. Get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: flushing/rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face, tongue, throat), severe dizziness, fast/weak heartbeat, or trouble breathing. To be sure that you do not have a serious reaction, you will need to stay in a health care setting (such as a doctor's office) for 30 minutes after taking this drug for the first time so your doctor can carefully monitor you and provide medical help if needed.
Your doctor will also prescribe another medication (epinephrine) to use if you have a serious allergic reaction outside the health care setting. Read the Patient Information Leaflet for this medication provided by your pharmacist. Learn ahead of time when and how to use your brand of epinephrine. If you have to use it, get medical help as soon as you have used it.
Certain medical conditions may increase the seriousness of an allergic reaction or your risk for an allergic reaction. These include high blood pressure, breathing disorders such as asthma, or heart problems such as angina/irregular heartbeat/previous heart attack. Also, some medications (including beta blockers such as atenolol) may make epinephrine or other rescue medications not work as well or increase your risk for side effects from these medications. Be sure to tell your doctor about all the drugs you use (including prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products).
This medication is used to treat allergy to house dust mites. It contains an extract made from certain house dust mites. Before prescribing this medication, your doctor must do lab/medical tests (such as skin or blood tests) to learn what you are allergic to. This allergen extract works by making your body less sensitive to the house dust mites that cause your allergies. This medication will not work right away to relieve allergy symptoms. When taken as directed, it may help relieve symptoms such as sneezing, runny/stuffy nose, cough, or itchy/watery eyes that are caused by allergies.
How to use Odactra Tablet, Sublingual
Take this medication by mouth without food as directed by your doctor, usually once daily. With dry hands, remove one tablet from the package just before taking. Place the tablet under the tongue and allow it to dissolve (usually within 10 seconds). Do not swallow for at least 1 minute after taking this medication. Do not chew or swallow the tablet. Do not eat or drink while the tablet is dissolving in your mouth and for 5 minutes after taking it. Wash your hands after handling the tablet.
Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day.
Tell your doctor if your condition does not get better or if it gets worse.
You Might Also Like
Are you currently using Odactra Tablet, Sublingual?
This survey is being conducted by the WebMD marketing sciences department.
Free RX Coupon
Save up to 80% on your prescriptions.
Save up to 80% on your prescription with WebMDRx
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.