What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Zydone Capsule to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- No Known Fetal/Neonatal Risk:
- Requires a Risk/Benefit Assessment:
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: MONITOR FOR CHANGES IN RESPIRATION, GI EFFECTS, SEDATION, FEEDING PATTERNS
- No Known Risk: LOW LEVELS EXCRETED WITH LOW RISK FOR ADVERSE EFFECTS IN INFANT
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Pulmonary-Respiratory depression is more likely to occur in elderly, as they may have altered pharmacokinetics due to poor fat stores, muscle wasting, or altered clearance. Neuro/Psych-Risk for confusion, delirium and falls. Avoid treatment with 3 or more CNS active agents. Gastrointestinal-Constipation risk. Renal-Impaired function may lead to increased toxicity due to accumulation of parent compound and metabolites. Cardiovascular-Monitor for hypotension with high doses.
- management or monitoring precaution: Hepatic-Elderly may be more susceptible to hepatotoxicity. Strict adherence to a maximum daily dose is recommended, and the maximum dose recommendation varies between 3000-3800 mg depending on strength used and source of the recommendation.
Giving Zydone Capsule to a child under 12
- management or monitoring precaution: Use weight based dosing in children less than 12 years.
- Severe Precaution: Risk of respiratory depression. Not for use as a cough suppressant. No safety and efficacy age < 2 years.
- Severe Precaution: Risk of respiratory depression. Weigh risk:benefit. Not for antitussive use.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.