What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Lomotil to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Only When Necessary: CATEGORY C IN COMBINATION PRODUCT WITH ATROPINE
- Only When Necessary: IV USE MAY PRODUCE TACHYCARDIA IN FETUS
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: INSUFFICIENT DATA AVAILABLE
- Precaution: Effect Unknown
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Neuro/Psych-Anticholinergic effects may cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Cardiovascular-May cause orthostatic hypotension at higher doses. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Genitourinary-Best avoided in patients with urinary retention from any cause.
- management or monitoring precaution: Risk for sedation, worsening confusion, falls, urinary retention or constipation.
Giving Lomotil to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Risk of respiratory and CNS depression, atropinism in Down's syndrome.
- Contraindication: Risk of respiratory and CNS depression. Contraindicated age < 6 years.
- management or monitoring precaution: Monitor for respiratory and CNS depression, atropinism in Down's syndrome.
- management or monitoring precaution: Infants and children are more sensitive to anticholinergic and adverse effects. Adverse CNS effects onset may be sooner and with lower dose.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.