This product contains 2 main ingredients. Salicylic acid is a keratolytic. It belongs to the same class of drugs as aspirin (salicylates). It works by breaking down the thick top layer of skin and increasing the amount of moisture in the skin. It causes the wart, corn, or callus to gradually peel off. Flexible collodion works by forming a protective coating over the treated area. It helps to keep the area clean and also keeps the salicylic acid and moisture in contact with the skin.
If you are self-treating with this medication, it is important to read the package instructions carefully before you start using this product to be sure it is right for you. (See also Precautions section.
How to use Salicylic Acid In Collodion Liquid
Use this product on the skin as directed by your doctor. If you are self-treating, follow all directions on the product package. If you are uncertain about any of the information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
First wash the affected area. You may soak it in warm water for about 5 minutes to soften it. Dry thoroughly. Your doctor may direct you to use a rough towel, pumice stone, callus file, or emery board to gently remove the top dead layers of thickened skin after soaking and before applying the liquid. Do not use sharp objects. Removing the dead skin helps the medication to work better. Do not try to rub the wart, corn, or callus off.
Using the applicator provided, apply a thin coat of the medication (one drop at a time) to cover the entire wart, corn, or callus. To minimize irritation, be careful not to get the liquid on surrounding skin. Let dry. Repeat this procedure 1 to 2 times daily as needed until the wart, corn, or callus is removed. For warts, you may use this product for up to 12 weeks. For corns and calluses, you may use it for up to 2 weeks. Wash hands after use.
Do not use this product on skin that is irritated, red, or infected. Avoid contact with the eyes and face. If this product gets on these areas or on healthy surrounding skin, wash it off right away. Flush the eyes with water for 15 minutes. If irritation persists, contact your doctor right away.
Do not apply a large amount of this medication or apply it to a large area. Do not use it more often or for longer than directed. Your condition will not improve any faster, and your risk of side effects will increase.
Avoid inhaling the fumes from this product.
If your condition persists or worsens, or if you think you may have a serious medical problem, stop using this product and seek immediate medical attention.
If your doctor has directed you to use this product, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this product do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor right away if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: unusual changes in the treated area (such as discharge or bleeding, formation of a deep sore/ulcer).
A very serious allergic reaction to this product is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to salicylic acid, aspirin, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs-NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen, naproxen); or to flexible collodion; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: skin irritation/infection/redness in the area to be treated, diabetes, poor blood circulation (such as peripheral vascular disease).
Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. You should not become pregnant while using this product. This product may harm an unborn baby. If you become pregnant while using this product, talk to your doctor right away about its risk and benefits.
The effects of some drugs can change if you take other drugs or herbal products at the same time. This can increase your risk for serious side effects or may cause your medications not to work correctly. These drug interactions are possible, but do not always occur. Your doctor or pharmacist can often prevent or manage interactions by changing how you use your medications or by close monitoring.
To help your doctor and pharmacist give you the best care, be sure to tell your doctor and pharmacist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) before starting treatment with this product. While using this product, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any other medicines you are using without your doctor's approval.
Keep a list of all the products you use. Share the list with your doctor and pharmacist to reduce your risk for serious medication problems.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Keep all regular medical appointments.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature between 59-86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C) away from light and moisture. Keep the cap on this product tightly closed. Store away from heat or open flame because this product is flammable. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.Information last revised July 2016. Copyright(c) 2016 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.