Digitalis Glycosides/Rifamycins Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
When these two medicines are taken together, your body may absorb your digitalis glycoside more slowly.
What might happen:
Your blood levels of digitalis glycoside may decrease and reduce the beneficial effects on your heart.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your doctor if you experience an increased heartbeat; swelling of ankles, feet, or hands; or breathing problems. It may be necessary to measure your blood levels of digitoxin. Your doctor may need to adjust your dose.Your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Gurley BJ, Swain A, Williams DK, Barone G, Battu SK. Gauging the clinical significance of P-glycoprotein-mediated herb-drug interactions: comparative effects of St. John's wort, Echinacea, clarithromycin, and rifampin on digoxin pharmacokinetics. Mol Nutr Food Res 2008 Jul; 52(7):772-9.
- 2.Lanoxin (digoxin) Tablets US prescribing information. Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. August, 2018.
- 3.Novi C, Bissoli F, Simonati V, Volpini T, Baroli A, Vignati G. Rifampin and digoxin: possible drug interaction in a dialysis patient. JAMA 1980 Dec 5;244(22):2521-2.
- 4.Gault H, Longerich L, Dawe M, Fine A. Digoxin-rifampin interaction. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1984 Jun;35(6):750-4.
- 5.Bussey HI, Merritt GJ, Hill EG. The influence of rifampin on quinidine and digoxin. Arch Intern Med 1984 May;144(5):1021-3.
- 6.Boman G, Eliasson K, Odar-Cederlof I. Acute cardiac failure during treatment with digitoxin--an interaction with rifampicin. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1980 Jul;10(1):89-90.
- 7.Poor DM, Self TH, Davis HL. Interaction of rifampin and digitoxin. Arch Intern Med 1983 Mar;143(3):599.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.