What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Vicks Nyquil Liquicaps Capsule to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- FDB Only When Necessary: AVAILABLE DATA SUGGEST NO KNOWN RISK; OTC PRODUCT, NO FDA PREGNANCY WARNINGS
- Only When Necessary:
- Only When Necessary: FDA C W/COMBO PROD; POSS RISK OF GASTROSCHISIS/SIA WITH 1ST TRIMESTER EXPOSURE
- FDB Only When Necessary: COMPATIBLE PER BRIGGS;OVERWHELMING HUMAN AND ANIMAL DATA SUGGESTS COMPATIBILITY
If you are NURSING
- No Known Risk: LOW LEVELS EXCRETED WITH LOW RISK FOR ADVERSE EFFECTS IN INFANT
- Precaution: INSUFFICIENT DATA AVAILABLE; MOLECULAR WT LOW ENOUGH FOR POSSIBLE EXCRETION
- Precaution: MAY DECREASE MILK SUPPLY, AND CAUSE IRRITABILITY
- Precaution: LOW MOLEC WT. POSSIBLE EXCRETION; NOT RECOM; MAY CAUSE PARADOXICAL EXCITATION
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Cardiovascular-Elderly are more sensitive to tachycardia and hypertensive effects. May exacerbate symptomatic coronary insufficiency. Genitourinary-May cause urinary retention. Neuro/Psych-May worsen cognitive impairment in some elderly with dementia. Insomnia risk.
- management or monitoring precaution: Neuro/Psych-Anticholinergic effects may cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Non-sedating antihistamine preferred. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Genitourinary-Best avoided in patients with urinary retention from any cause.
- management or monitoring precaution: Hepatic-Elderly are more susceptible to hepatotoxicity. Strict adherence to a maximum daily dose of 3000mg is advised.
Giving Vicks Nyquil Liquicaps Capsule to a child under 12
- management or monitoring precaution: Use weight based dosing in children less than 12 years.
- Severe Precaution: Not recommended age < 6 years without clinician consultation.
- Contraindication: CNS excitation and convulsion risk in newborns. Not recommended age <2 years.
- Contraindication: High risk of adverse CNS effects. Not recommended for use age < 6 years.