Call 911 if:
- Bleeding is severe or there are clots.
- Your child seems weak, faint, or very sick.
- Your child is in pain.
Blood in the stool is usually not a serious problem in young children, but you should always call a pediatrician to make sure.
Call Doctor If:
- Your baby has blood in the stool.
1. Get Details
2. Look for Other Symptoms
3. Call Your Pediatrician
- If there was very little blood and your baby seems otherwise healthy, call the pediatrician during normal office hours.
- If your baby is under 12 weeks old; has black or tarry stools, bloody diarrhea, or blood mixed with mucus that looks like jelly; or if your baby seems sick, upset, or lethargic, call a pediatrician right away or go to the nearest emergency room.