PREVIOUS QUESTION:

 

NEXT QUESTION:

 

What should I do if I get shocked by my implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)?

ANSWER

If you get shocked by your ICD:

If someone is touching you when the ICD fires, they may feel a tingling sensation. It won't hurt them.

  • Stay calm.
  • Sit or lie down. Ask someone to stay with you.
  • If you do not feel well after the shock, call your doctor or an ambulance (dial 911 in most areas).
  • If you feel fine after the shock, you do not need to seek immediate medical attention.
  • Call your doctor within 24 hours.

SOURCES: American Heart Association.

Reviewed by James Beckerman on February 4, 2019

SOURCES: American Heart Association.

Reviewed by James Beckerman on February 4, 2019

NEXT QUESTION:

When should I call my doctor about my implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)?

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.

    This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.