Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
(1) Andre Lichtenberg / TAXI / Getty Images
(2) Jose Luis Pelaez / Riser / Getty Images
(3) Beatrice Heydiri, Jupiter Images
(4) Photo courtesy of Erin A. Bluhm
(5) Safia Fatimi / Getty Images
(5) John Howard / Digital Vision / Getty Images
(7) Dimitri Vervitsiotis / Getty Images
(8) ©2007 Interactive Medical Media LLC. All rights reserved.
(9) Dorling Kindersley / Getty Images
(10) ©2007 Interactive Medical Media LLC. All rights reserved.
(11) ©2007 Interactive Medical Media LLC. All rights reserved.
(12) ©2007 Interactive Medical Media LLC. All rights reserved.
(13) ©2007 Interactive Medical Media LLC. All rights reserved.
(14) Dr P. Marazzi / Photo Researchers, Inc / ©Pulse Picture Library/CMP Images / Phototake -- All rights reserved. / © 2007 Interactive Medical Media LLC. All rights reserved.
(15) Top left and right, and bottom left and right images from "Fitzpatrick’s Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology"; Klaus Wolff, Richard Allen Johnson, Dick Suurmond; Copyright 2005, 2001, 1997, 1993 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights reserved. Bottom center image from Dr. Kenneth Greer, Visuals Unlimited, Getty Images.
(16) ©Denise Hesse / Phototake -- All rights reserved.
(17) Flynn Larsen / Photonica / Getty Images
American Academy of Dermatology web site.
American Cancer Society web site.
American Osteopathic College of Dermatology web site.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention web site.
Department of Clinical Social Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
DermNet NZ web site.
Good Housekeeping web site.
Hornung, R. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, March 2007.
Kaminsky, B and Kaminsky, H. Beyond Botox, Time Warner, 2006.
National Cancer Institute web site.
National Institutes of Health web site.
Skin Cancer Foundation web site.
Visual Dx Health web site.
Reviewed by Stephanie S. Gardner, MD on May 05, 2019
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.