Menopause Medical Reference
Treatments for Vasomotor Symptoms
- What Are Vasomotor Symptoms (Hot Flashes)?
They’re the most common symptom of menopause. Here’s what you should know about vasomotor symptoms, also known as hot flashes and night sweats.
- Vasomotor Symptoms and Your Well-Being
Vasomotor symptoms, or hot flashes and night sweats, can affect your sleep and your health in ways that might surprise you. Here’s what you should know.
- Understanding Yeast Overgrowth Flare-ups
Learn why yeast grow too much, how they can cause infections, and why it's important to treat them.
- How Menopause Can Lead to Recurring Vaginal Yeast Infections
Hormonal changes can both raise and reduce your risk of infection. Here’s what you need to know.
- First Treatments for Yeast Infections That Come Back
Recurrent yeast infections may require long-term preventative medication.
- What is Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy is when you take hormones because the ones your body naturally produces are out of balance. Learn more about how it works and what to expect.
- What to Know About Birth Control and Menopause
It can be hard to tell if you’ve gone through menopause when you’re still on birth control. Find out when you should stop contraceptives, as well as the risks and benefits of birth control around menopause.
- What's Vaginal Atrophy?
Vaginal atrophy is when the vaginal walls become thin, dry, and inflamed due to a loss of estrogen, often after menopause. Find out how to ease your symptoms and treat the condition.
- Ways to Make Sex After Menopause More Comfortable
After menopause, sex may be less comfortable. There are several reasons why. The most common is vaginal dryness.
- Finding Relief From Vaginal Dryness and Pain
Feeling pain during intercourse is nothing to be embarrassed about. Find out how to talk to your doctor about treatment options.
- Painful Sex During Menopause: What to Know
Painful sex is something that may affect you as you go through menopause. Find out about the things that can cause this, when to see your doctor, and when a therapist might be able to help.
- Feel-Good Sex Positions After Menopause
After menopause, sex may be more painful for some women. Here are a few sex positions that may help make intercourse more pleasurable at this time of life.
- What Is Premature Ovarian Failure?
Premature ovarian failure is when the ovaries stop working before age 40. It’s not the same as menopause. Learn the symptoms and causes.
- How Menopause Affects Your Breasts
Menopause can change how your breasts look and feel. Find out what helps, what’s normal, and what’s not.
- Why Am I So Hot?
Is it a hot flash or something else? Learn what’s making you burn.
- Menopause: When Sex Hurts
Sex can hurt after menopause. But with a little care, it doesn't have to. Learn what can make sex feel good again, from home remedies to getting your doctor's help.
- Postmenopausal Bleeding
Vaginal bleeding after menopause may be a sign of a serious disorder. WebMD explains possible causes of bleeding, which should always be checked out by a doctor.
- Menopause, Weight Gain, and Exercise Tips
WebMD explains why women in menopause may gain weight and what to do to prevent or combat those extra pounds.
- Surgical Menopause: Should You Take Estrogen After Your Hysterectomy?
Should you get hormone replacement therapy (HRT) after surgical menopause? WebMD explains the pros and cons of hormone therapy to help you make an informed decision.
- Which Type of Estrogen Hormone Therapy Is Right for You?
WebMD's guide to various estrogen replacement treatments, including the pros and cons of each.
- 10 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Hormone Therapy During Menopause
Hormone therapy can ease menopause symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, mood swings, and vaginal dryness. But they’re not right for everyone. Find out more from WebMD.
- Diagnosing Menopause
How do you know you're in menopause? Find out more from WebMD.
- Your Health in Postmenopause
Postmenopause is a great time for most women, but they are at higher risk for certain health conditions, such as osteoporosis. Learn more from WebMD about health care in postmenopause.
- Home Menopause Testing Kits: Are They Worth It?
Could a home test tell if you are in menopause? It's unlikely. Learn more from WebMD about what this test can tell you, if anything.
- Menopause Causes
Menopause occurs when a woman's ovaries run out of functioning eggs. Read more from WebMD about the cause of natural menopause.
- Natural Treatments for Menopause Symptoms
WebMD takes a look at natural treatments for menopause symptoms.
- Thyroid and Menopause: Confusing the Symptoms
The symptoms of menopause and thyroid problems can be similar. WebMD tells you how doctors distinguish between the two.
- Male "Menopause"
Is male menopause real? WebMD examines some of the symptoms of declining hormone levels in men.
- Breast Cancer and Menopause
WebMD looks at the link between breast cancer and menopause.
- The Emotional Roller Coaster of Menopause
The period before and after menopause can be an emotional roller coaster. Learn ways to deal with crankiness and depression.
- Menopause and Mammograms
WebMD looks at the importance of mammogram screening for breast cancer during and after menopause.
Are you in perimenopause? Learn more from WebMD about the symptoms of the stage in a woman's life before menopause.
- Learning to Relax During Menopause
WebMD explains how menopause symptoms may be relieved with relaxation techniques.
- Medical Causes of Menopause
WebMD looks at medical procedures and surgeries that may trigger premature menopause.
WebMD gives you basic information about menopause, including symptoms and conditions associated with it.
- Menopause Glossary of Terms
WebMD offers a glossary of terms associated with menopause and sexuality.
- Menopause and Heart Disease
WebMD explains the connection between menopause and heart disease, and tells you how to protect your heart.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy for Menopause
WebMD looks at the role of hormone replacement therapy - including its risks and benefits - in treating menopause symptoms.
- Pap Test After Menopause
WebMD looks at the role of Pap smears in menopausal women and those who have had a hysterectomy.
- The Pelvic Exam and Menopause
WebMD explains the role of a pelvic exam in women who are menopausal and postmenopausal.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Menopause
WebMD helps answer some of the most frequently asked questions about menopause.
- Osteoporosis and Menopause
Learn more about the link between menopause and osteoporosis.
- Premature Menopause
WebMD provides an overview of premature menopause, including its symptoms and diagnosis.
- Sex and Menopause
Menopause and postmenopause may affect your sex drive. Find out more from WebMD.
- Menopause and Good Nutrition
Learn more from WebMD about the role of good nutrition during menopause.
- What Are Hot Flashes?
Hot flashes: What are they, and what can you do about them?
- How Do I Know If I'm In Menopause?
Having hot flashes and missing periods? You may be in menopause.
- Understanding Menopause -- Treatment
Learn about treatment of menopause-related symptoms.
- Your Guide to Menopause
WebMD helps answer your questions about what to expect before, during, and after menopause.