Take advantage of easy lifestyle changes to ease your multiple sclerosis symptoms. Some of the keys to a smoother day: Improve your sleep habits, eat healthy food, and get smart with technology.
Get Better Rest
- Take a nap to fight fatigue, but no more than 2 hours. Longer than that might keep you up at night.
- To fall asleep easier, listen to relaxing music before you get into bed.
- To sleep better at night, try meditation, deep breathing, or yoga during the day.
- Do you wake up at night with a need to go? Skip that glass of water before bed.
Watch What You Eat and Drink
- For an energy boost, instead of three big meals a day eat several smaller ones packed with nutrients.
- Eat low-fat, high-fiber foods to help prevent heart disease and diabetes, which make MS worse.
- To keep your bladder under better control, cut back on coffee. It increases your urge to go.
- Travel safely: Stay hydrated on vacation, but be cautious about local water and raw foods.
Put Gadgets to Work for You
- Put a fan at your desk to keep cool while you work.
- Get a motorized scooter to make shopping easier.
- Put hand controls in your car so you can speed up and apply the brakes without using your feet.
- Is food prep a real chore? Use electric can openers and forks and knives with easy-grip handles.
- Don't let the heat make you tired. Wear a cooling vest when you go outside in the summer.
- Wear lightweight shoes with good tread to avoid falling while you're out for walk.