Baby Center Medical Reference
RSV: Infants at High Risk for Complications
- How to Treat Your Infant’s RSV
Home care is often enough to treat a baby’s RSV infection, but serious cases may need IV fluids, oxygen, and other care at a hospital. Find out more.
- Does My Infant Have RSV or a Cold?
Does your infant have a cold or respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)? Learn about the differences.
- Prevention Is Key: Keep Your Infant Safe From RSV
Basic preventive care at home may be enough to keep your baby healthy. But if your child has a higher risk of complications, consider RSV medications.
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV): An Overview for New and Expectant Parents and Their Families
Most children get RSV before they turn 2 years old. Find out what you need to know about this common condition that can cause some babies to get very sick.
- Allergy or Intolerance: Understanding the Difference in Infants
How can you tell if your infant has a food intolerance or a food allergy? Learn the difference, how doctors diagnose them, and more.
- Feeding Baby: How to Avoid Food Allergies
Learn more from WebMD about avoiding food allergies when starting your infant on solids, plus the top 8 allergenic foods.
- Types of Hypoallergenic Formulas
When your baby has a milk intolerance or allergy, what are your formula options? Learn about hypoallergenic choices for feeding.
- What to Know About Using Ice Packs After Childbirth
Postpartum ice packs are a common way to relieve pain after childbirth. Learn the different causes of postpartum pain, how to manage the pain, and how to use a postpartum ice pack.
- What to Know About Lactation Cookies
Find out what you need to know about lactation cookies, and discover whether they really work, their health benefits, and how to make them yourself.
- What to Know About Postpartum Numbing Sprays
Postpartum numbing spray is used to offer pain relief to the vaginal area following labor and delivery. Learn more about how to use postpartum numbing spray and its effectiveness.
- What to Know About Bouncer Seats for Babies
Find out what you need to know about baby bouncer seats and discover their benefits and safety and how to use them.
- How to Use a Baby Sling
Baby slings are a great way to keep your hands free and your baby close, but they have risks if used improperly. Learn about the types of baby slings and how to keep your baby safe while using one.
- What to Know About Baby Loungers
Baby loungers are a popular piece of baby gear. Here’s what you need to know to keep your baby safe when using one.
- What to Know About Sunglasses for Children
Learn about kids' sunglasses, including whether they are effective and necessary.
- What to Know About the Risks of Getting a Tattoo While Breastfeeding
Getting tattooed while pregnant or breastfeeding can pose serious risks. Find out everything you need to know about these risks.
- How to Clean Your Baby's Pacifier With Pacifier Wipes
Pacifiers should be cleaned regularly to prevent germs from spreading. Learn how to clean your baby's pacifier with pacifier wipes and more.
- What to Know About Car Seat Protectors
Learn about the different types of car seat protectors. Discover which type is safest for your child.
- What to Know About How Breast Milk Tastes
Learn about the way your baby experiences breast milk. Discover how breast milk tastes.
- How to Express Your Breast Milk by Hand
Find out how to express breast milk by hand, including benefits and tips.
- What to Know About Your Postpartum Checkup
Find out what you need to know about your postpartum checkup, including what to expect and more.
- What to Know About Types of Infant Formula
Find out what you need to know about the different types of infant formula and how to choose the right one.
- What Is a Nursing Supplementer?
A nursing supplementer is a tool to help parents breastfeed their babies. Here’s how it works.
- What Is a Dream Feed for Babies?
Dream feeding involves feeding your baby while they're asleep or half awake. Learn more about the pros and cons of dream feeding and when you should do it.
- How to Choose Baby Diapers
If you’re a new parent looking for the perfect diaper for your little one, read our guide to find out about various types of diapers!
- How to Choose a Rocker or Glider for Your Nursery
If you’re a new parent who is considering investing in a rocker or glider for your nursery, read our guide to see how to find the best fit!
- How to Choose a Diaper Pail
Are you a new parent? Consider investing in a diaper pail to help with your baby’s dirty diapers!
- What to Know About Teething Toys for Babies
Do teething toys for babies ease the pain? Find out everything about teething toys and some safe teething toys to make the right decision for your baby.
- What to Know About the Vitamin K Shot for Newborns
Find out everything you need to know about the vitamin K shot for newborns and learn how it can prevent catastrophic bleeding.
- What to Know About Hypoglycemia in a Newborn
Find out what to know about neonatal hypoglycemia and discover the risks and side effects for a newborn with hypoglycemia.
- What to Know About Probiotics in Baby Formulas
Find out what you need to know about probiotics in baby formulas and discover the pros, cons, risks, and benefits.
- What Is the 6-Week Postpartum Checkup?
Learn more about why the 6-week postpartum checkup is such an important appointment to attend even if you’re doing well after having your baby.
- How To Thaw Frozen Breast Milk
Find out how to thaw frozen breast milk, how to properly store frozen breast milk, and feeding thawed breast milk.
- What Is Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn (PPHN)?
Learn about persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn, including what causes it, treatment options, and more.
- What to Know About Nursing Pillows
What to know about nursing pillows. Learn about how it can help you take care of your and your baby's health when laying down together.
- What to Know About Conjunctivitis (Pinkeye) in Newborns
Find out what you need to know about conjunctivitis in newborns and discover how it may affect their health.
- How to Choose a Crib Mattress
Preparing a nursery? Choosing a crib mattress doesn't have to be complicated. Learn what you need to know to buy a safe mattress for your baby.
- What to Do When Your Baby Falls
Find out what to do if your baby falls off the bed, and discover the signs of a serious fall injury and how it may affect health.
- What to Know About Baby Changing Tables
Learn about baby changing tables. Discover the different kinds of changing stations and how to use them safely.
- What to Know About Newborn Screening Tests
Learn about screening tests given to newborns and their benefits.
- What Is a Neonatal (NICU) Nurse Practitioner?
Learn what a NICU nurse practitioner does to help your baby.
- What Is a Lactation Consultant?
Learn what a lactation consultant is, how they can help you with breastfeeding and lactation, and sources to find lactation support.
- How to Choose a High Chair
Learn about factors to consider when looking for a safe high chair.
- Homemade Baby Formula: Is It Safe?
Find out why homemade baby formula poses dangerous health risks for infants.
- What Is Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome?
Find out what you need to know about neonatal abstinence syndrome, including the causes, symptoms, and treatment.
- What Is a Drool Rash?
A drool rash is common in babies and simple to treat. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment for this condition.
- What Is Transient Tachypnea of the Newborn (TTN)?
Transient tachypnea of the newborn (TTN) is when a baby has rapid breathing soon after birth. Learn about the treatment and causes of rapid breathing.
- How to Take a Baby's Pulse
Find out how to take your baby’s pulse. Learn about the normal pulse rate, and what your baby’s pulse can tell you about their health.
- Probiotics for Babies and Children
What are the benefits of giving probiotics to infants? Find out about safe probiotics for infants and infant probiotic side effects.
- What to Know About Safe Humidifier and Vaporizer Use for Babies
Find out what you need to know about using humidifiers and vaporizers safely for your baby.