Health & Parenting Medical Reference
Are Video Games Safe for Children?
- How to Get Kids to Work Together
Techniques to get kids helping around the house and learning life skills.
- What to Know About Spanking
Spanking is a common form of discipline for children, but studies have shown there are lasting negative effects.
- What to Know About Food Play
Learn all you need to know about food sensory play and how it can help your child develop their fine motor skills.
- What Are Nature Crafts and Activities for Kids?
Learn about different kinds of nature crafts. Discover the best nature crafts for kids.
- How to Make Edible Play Doh
Learn about the best way to make play doh. Discover the ingredients to use to create safe, edible play doh.
- What to Know About Identity Foreclosure
Learn about identity foreclosure, how it affects people, and how to get support.
- Your Central Precocious Puberty Care Team
When your child has symptoms of CPP, you need a specialized team approach to care that goes beyond your pediatrician.
- What Is Feeding Therapy?
Feeding therapy is designed to help children develop better eating habits. Here’s what it is and how it can help.
- What to Know About Car Seat Recycling
Find out what you need to know about recycling car seats. Discover the pros, cons, risks, benefits, and how it may affect health.
- What Is Montessori Parenting?
Find out what you need to know about Montessori parenting, including its pros and cons.
- What to Know About Sports for Toddlers
Find out what you need to know about sports for toddlers, and discover the benefits of outdoor sports for toddlers.
- What to Know About Snow Sled Safety for Children
Sledding is a fun winter activity, but it can also be dangerous. Learn some tips for snow sled safety.
- What Is Food Therapy for Children?
Is your child a picky eater? Do they have a feeding or swallowing disorder? Learn about food therapy and how it may help your child.
- What Is Metacognition?
Find out more about metacognition — the ability to think about your own thought processes. This allows you to monitor and change your habits, thoughts, and feelings.
- What Is Habit Reversal Training?
Does your child have some habits you'd like to curb? Learn about habit reversal training and how it can help kids with disabilities like Tourette's and OCD.
- When Do Car Seats Expire and Why?
Why do car seats have expiry dates? Find out how to know if a car seat is expired.
- How to Set Goals for Your Child's IEP
Does your child have a learning disability? Have you heard of IEP? If you're curious about this type of learning plan, read our guide to find out more.
- How to Help a Depressed Teenager
Is your teenager feeling depressed? Find out what to do when you have a depressed teenager and how you can help them.
- What to Know About Responding to Back Talk From a Child
Back talk from your child can be frustrating. Learn some tricks for responding to back talk and creating meaningful, appropriate consequences.
- How to Help Kids Think More Flexibly
Find out about flexible thinking in children and learn strategies to help your kids think more flexibly.
- When Is Your Child Ready for Kindergarten?
Parents might wonder if their child is the right age for kindergarten. The kindergarten starting age depends on both emotional and academic readiness.
- What to Know About Kiddie Pools
If you’re thinking about getting a kiddie pool, here’s what you need to know about safety and maintenance.
- What to Know About a Nanny Share
Have you heard of the term nanny share but don't know what it means? We've got all the details for you about this childcare service!
- What to Know About Bike Trailers and Tag Along Bikes for Kids
Learn about the different types of devices to travel with children on a bicycle. Discover whether a bike trailer or rear-mounted seat is right for you.
- What to Know About "Twice-Exceptional" (2e) Children
Children who are gifted and also have a learning disorder are considered twice-exceptional. They have unique needs that can be difficult to address.
- What Is Parentification?
Are you affected by parentification and wondering how to cope? Read our guide to learn about parentification, including what it is, what causes it, its symptoms, and potential treatment.
- What to Know About Brain Breaks for Children
What are brain breaks for children? Children need breaks from learning to help them focus. Such mental breaks provide many benefits.
- How Sibling Relationships Affect Families
Are you wondering about the dynamics of sibling relationships and how they affect families? Read our guide to find out!
- Hand Washing 101: Showing Kids How to Properly Wash Hands
Teach your kids these five easy steps to keep their hands clean and their bodies healthy.
- What Is Emotional Incest?
Find out more about emotional incest. Parent-child relationships that are “too close” often show signs of this dysfunctional dynamic.
- What Are the Pros and Cons of School Uniforms?
Learn why uniforms are used in school as well, as the possible benefits and disadvantages of using them.
- What to Know About Playgroups
Find out what you need to know about playgroups and how they may benefit your child's development.
- How to Choose a Bicycle for Your Child
Learn about the different kinds of bikes for children. Discover how to pick the best bike for your child.
- How to Teach Your Teen to Eat Healthy Food
Learn healthy eating tips for teens. Discover nutritional recommendations that teens need to know.
- What to Know About Respite Foster Care
Find out what you need to know about respite foster care and discover the benefits, general requirements, and how to become a provider.
- How to Prepare for Your Child to Fly Alone
Learn about airport policies for minors flying alone. Discover the best tips to prepare your child to fly alone.
- What to Know About Transracial Adoption
Find out more about transracial adoption from foster care centers and international agencies and learn tips to help your child thrive.
- How to Teach Your Children Hair Washing
Learn how to teach your child to wash and take care of their hair.
- What to Know About Inflatable Pool Toys and Safety
Learn about pool floaties and toys, their risks, and if inflatable pool toys are safe for your kids.
- What to Know About Child Protective Services?
Child Protective Services protects children from abuse and neglect at the hands of their parents or guardians. Learn more about this agency and its methods.
- What Is a Sensory Bin for Children?
Find out what sensory bins are, including how they benefit children and how to make one.
- What to Know About Yoga for Children
Find out what you need to know about the health benefits of yoga for children. Discover the risks, as well as some safe and appropriate poses for kids.
- What to Know About Parental Control Devices
Learn about parental control devices. Discover the different options that exist and the features that they offer.
- What to Know About Nose Picking?
Like any bad habit, nose picking has its consequences, and while it may deliver temporary relief from nasal discomfort, there are better ways to deal with nasal issues.
- What to Know About Birth Certificates
Discover what info's on the state-issued birth certificate, what kind of information you need to fill out on the form to get the certificate, how to replace it, etc.
- What Is Self-Regulation?
Read our guide to find out all you need to know about self-regulation, its benefits, and how to help your child learn this skill.
- What Is a Charter School?
Charter schools are independently-owned public schools that are able to choose their own curriculum and cater to the unique educational needs of their students. Discover some key charter school facts.
- What Is Incidental Teaching?
Has your child been diagnosed with autism? Are you wondering what incidental teaching is? Read our guide to find out more.
- What Is an Adoption Home Study?
Learn what to expect during an adoption home study and how to prepare for one.