Sexual Conditions News
- Insurer Told To Pay $5.2 Million To Woman Who Caught STD In A Car
June 8, 2022 — A Missouri court ordered an auto insurance company to pay $5.2 million to a woman who caught a sexually transmitted disease from having sex in her boyfriend's car.
- Pandemic Didn’t Slow the Spread of Some STDs
April 13, 2022 — The number of cases of some sexually transmitted diseases continued to increase during 2020, the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, while overall STD cases dropped the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a new report.
- U.S. STD Cases Spiked During Pandemic
April 12, 2022 — According to a new CDC report, STD cases fell during the pandemic's early months, but rose again by the end of 2020, with gonorrhea, syphilis and congenital syphilis surpassing 2019 levels.
- Why the CDC Doesn’t Recommend Screening Straight Men for STDs
August 25, 2021 — Women and men who have sex with men benefit most from screening efforts, experts say.
- Can a Cheap Pill Cure Gonorrhea? New Test Can Tell
August 7, 2020 — The low-cost drug has been out of use amid concern that the bacterium that causes gonorrhea was becoming resistant to it.
- 'Hey, What Is This?': Social Media, Not Docs, Increasingly Diagnosing STDs
November 5, 2019 — People worried that they have a sexually transmitted disease are more often turning to social media to receive a diagnosis, according to a new report.
- STD Rates Continue to Rise in the U.S.
October 8, 2019 — STD rates in the United States are continuing a years-long climb -- including a sharp rise in the number of babies born with syphilis.
- Pubic Grooming Doesn't Raise STD Risk
September 4, 2019 — Women who shave or wax their pubic hair aren't more likely to get chlamydia or gonorrhea, according to new research that challenges studies suggesting that so-called extreme grooming increases the risk of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
- Is a Chlamydia Vaccine on the Horizon?
August 13, 2019 — All of the women who received the vaccine produced antibodies to chlamydia, but one of the vaccines, called CTH522:CAF01, produced nearly six times more antibodies than the other vaccine, the investigators found.
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Found in 2 U.K. Women
January 14, 2019 — Two U.K. women in the last 3 months have been diagnosed with extensively drug-resistant (XDR) gonorrhea -- the so-called super gonorrhea.
- New Chlamydia Test Offers Rapid Results
December 5, 2018 — Study leader Charlotte Gaydos said the goal of point-of-care technology is to deliver quick results and give patients more options.
- Nearly 1 In 10 in U.S. Battle Sexual Urges
November 9, 2018 — Almost 9 percent of people in the United States have distress caused by difficulty controlling their sexual feelings, urges and behaviors, new research shows.
- New Antibiotic Helps Against 'Super Gonorrhea'
November 7, 2018 — A newly developed antibiotic pill has proven effective against gonorrhea in early clinical trials. Zoliflodacin proved effective in treating gonorrhea infections of the urinary and genital tracts and rectum, researchers say.
- CDC: Infants Born With Syphilis at 20-Year High
September 25, 2018 — The number of babies born with is rising dramatically, from 362 cases in 2013 to 918 in 2017 -- the highest number in 20 years. Cases were seen in 37 states, mostly in the West and South.
- Sexual Violence Haunts Women for Years
September 11, 2018 — The women who suffered sexual violence had clear, strong memories, including details of the event. Moreover, they had a hard time forgetting the incident and viewed it as a defining part of their life, the researchers found.
- STD Rates Continue to Climb in U.S.
August 28, 2018 — Cases of gonorrhea, syphilis and chlamydia all increased in 2017, making it the fourth straight year in which STD infections continued to expand.
- STDs Hit Record High in California
May 15, 2018 — The report noted 30 stillbirths stemming from cases of syphilis, the highest number in more than 20 years.
- Super Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea Coming to U.S.
April 4, 2018 — Americans should expect that a super-resistant form of gonorrhea like that found in the United Kingdom will soon reach these shores, health experts say.
- U.K. Man Has World's Worst Case of Super-Gonorrhea
March 29, 2018 — It's the first case of the sexually-transmitted disease that could not be cured with the main antibiotic treatment, a combination of azithromycin and ceftriaxone, according to Public Health England, BBC News reported.
- Fewer Americans Are Getting Herpes
February 7, 2018 — Roughly 12 percent of adults were infected with genital herpes (HSV-2) in 2015-2016, down from 18 percent in 1999-2000, a new government report found.
- HPV jab for men who have sex with men in England
February 6, 2018 — The government has announced it will introduce a vaccination programme for men in England aged 45 or younger who have sex with other men.
- Online kits 'may boost STI test uptake'
December 28, 2017 — Online testing kits for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) could almost double the number of people being tested compared with inviting them to a clinic, a UK study suggests.
- STDs Hit All-Time High in U.S.
September 26, 2017 — Annual report shows more than 2 million cases of chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis reported in 2016
- New antibiotic for 'superbug' gonorrhoea
August 7, 2017 — Laboratory research on a new drug is showing promise against 'superbug' gonorrhoea.
- Syphilis in Babies: Old Disease Makes A a Comeback
July 21, 2017 — Rates of congenital syphilis are on the rise after years of decline.
- New Hope in Search for Vaccine Against Gonorrhea
July 10, 2017 — Study shows that routine meningitis shot may offer at least some protection
- Vaginal Bacteria May Affect Herpes and Zika Virus
June 9, 2017 — Healthy 'bugs' might alter how the viruses work, researcher says
- Syphilis Rates Spike Among Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC
April 6, 2017 — Awareness and practicing safe sex are key to curbing the growing rate of syphilis, sexual health experts say
- Millions Have Condition That Can Cause Infertility
February 3, 2017 — Pelvic inflammatory disease often caused by sexually transmitted infections, CDC experts say
- Pubic Grooming Tied to Higher STD Rates
December 5, 2016 — Study finds unexpected risk comes from baring all
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases Hit All-Time High
October 19, 2016 — More prevention efforts needed, agency STD specialists say
- CDC: Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea Growing U.S. Threat
September 21, 2016 — But new drug shows promise against sexually transmitted disease in early trials
- Light Therapy May Boost Men's Interest in Sex
September 19, 2016 — Exposure to bright light may increase men's testosterone levels and could lead to greater sexual satisfaction, according to a study.
- Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea Cases Up Fourfold in U.S.
July 14, 2016 — CDC statistics for 2013-2014 show troubling spike in resistant strains
- Antibiotics Overprescribed for Possible STDs
June 9, 2016 — 3 in 4 tests for gonorrhea, chlamydia came back negative
- 'Female Libido' Pill May Not Be Worth It: Report
February 29, 2016 — Addyi carries host of serious side effects without delivering much more sexual satisfaction, review suggests
- Another STD Spurs Concern
February 12, 2016 — British study concludes Mycoplasma genitalium infection is transmitted through sexual contact
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea: A Growing Threat
January 18, 2016 — U.S. officials echo concerns of health experts in Great Britain
- Task Force: Screen All Teens, Adults at Risk for Syphilis
December 14, 2015 — Proposed recommendation dovetails with surge in U.S. cases of the sexually transmitted disease
- Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia Rates Rising: CDC
November 17, 2015 — Increases are largely driven by STD epidemic among men, U.S. researchers say
- Gonorrhea Getting More Resistant to One Antibiotic
November 3, 2015 — Other effective treatments remain available, but experts say finding is cause for concern
- Herpes Virus Infects Two-Thirds of Population: WHO
October 29, 2015 — Herpes Virus Infects Two-Thirds of Population: WHO
- Officials Warn About Blinding Syphilis Cases
March 12, 2015 — Officials Warn About Blinding Syphilis Cases
- Many STDs May Go Undiagnosed, U.S. Report Finds
June 10, 2014 — Nearly 2 million Americans have chlamydia infection, but about 400,000 don't know it, government estimates
- Syphilis Cases Climbing Among Gay Men: CDC
May 9, 2014 — Rates have more than doubled since 2000, health officials report
- Women May Have Natural Defense Against Common STD
May 30, 2013 — 'Trich' causes discomfort for some, but is symptomless in others
- Bill Gates Offers $100,000 for Next-Gen Condom
March 25, 2013 — The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is offering a $100,000 grant to the person who can develop what's being called the next generation of condom.
- Incurable Gonorrhea Threat Forces Drug Change
August 10, 2012 — To preserve the last class of drug still effective against gonorrhea, the CDC now recommends treating patients with a shot plus a pill. The previous single-pill treatment was leading to dangerous rise in untreatable gonorrhea.
- Untreatable Gonorrhea a Global Threat
June 6, 2012 — Gonorrhea bugs are fast becoming resistant to the last drugs that kill the common STD bug. The CDC already has sounded the alarm; today the WHO released its new action plan.