Acne News & Features
Do You Need Moisturizer If You Have Acne?
- 8 Best Ingredients for Acne-Prone Skin
August 19, 2021 — Learn about eight ingredients that can help acne-prone skin.
- Study: Curbing a Skin Oil Might Help Reduce Acne
May 15, 2019 — The naturally produced oil called sebum is important to the skin's health because it helps regulate temperature and repel microbes, the researchers said. But an excess of sebum production has also long been thought to be a contributor to acne.
- Lifestyle Changes to Tame Acne
January 23, 2019 — To prevent breakouts, practice these healthy habits, like taming stress, getting good sleep, wearing sunscreen, and not touching your face.
- Selecting the Right Acne Treatment for You
January 23, 2019 — Not every type of acne treatment works the same for every person. Find out which treatments may work best for your acne.
- Don’t Make These Acne Treatment Mistakes
January 23, 2019 — Acne affects teenagers and adults alike. Learn about the acne treatment mistakes holding you back from a clear complexion.
- Pop Culture: Behind the Pimple Video Craze
October 11, 2018 — Videos of pimples being squeezed or drained get millions of views regularly on YouTube. One Southern California dermatologist who calls herself Dr. Pimple Popper has a television show. But why does this thing that makes some of us recoil captivate so many others
- A Vaccine to Prevent Acne May Be Possible One Day
September 4, 2018 — For many skin-pocked teenagers and adults, the frustration and shame of uncontrolled acne has been linked to a higher risk for clinical depression and suicide or suicidal thoughts.
- Skin's Bacterial 'Balance' May Help Trigger Acne
April 5, 2017 — Germ community, rather than just one species, may be key, new research suggests
- Why Acne Can Strike Women After the Teen Years
December 27, 2016 — Study suggests diet, stress and family history may play a role
- Acne Gives Up Secret That Points to New Treatments
October 28, 2016 — Bacteria on skin sometimes release fatty acids that trigger inflammation, researchers report
- Acne's Silver Lining: Slower Aging of the Skin?
September 29, 2016 — Twins study finds white blood cells of sibling with acne seem to age less rapidly
- FDA OKs Non-Prescription Use of Acne Drug
July 8, 2016 — Differin Gel 0.1% is first retinoid medication approved for over-the-counter use
- I'll Take the One in the White Coat
June 1, 2016 — Patients prefer doctors who wear 'professional' attire, survey finds
- Misconceptions About Acne Still Common
March 4, 2016 — Skin condition isn't caused by poor hygiene or diet, dermatologist says
- Double Up on Acne Treatments, New Guidelines Say
February 23, 2016 — Skin doctors say combining two or more medications is often the best option
- Many Patients With Acne Take Antibiotics Too Long
October 30, 2015 — Prescription Accutane can often help and should be tried sooner, experts say
- Experimental Treatment Uses Nitric Oxide for Acne
July 31, 2015 — Researchers test slow-release nanoparticles on frustrating skin condition
- Could a Vitamin Play a Role in Acne Outbreaks?
June 24, 2015 — Study finds excess B12 tied to common skin condition
- Many Acne Patients Don't Take Their Meds
March 20, 2015 — Cost, forgetfulness, skin improvement were reasons cited for lapses
- Acne Gel Linked to Rare Side Effect, Doctors Warn
January 29, 2015 — Teen developed blood disorder after using Aczone for a week
- FDA Approves Treatment for Acne Scarring
January 7, 2015 — FDA Approves Treatment for Acne Scarring
- URL Query Test
October 23, 2014 —
- Some Acne Products Can Trigger Allergic Reactions
June 25, 2014 — In rare instances, reactions are potentially life-threatening, agency says
- Adult Acne: Why You Get It, How to Fight It
August 26, 2013 — There are many reasons you can get acne as an adult. Stress or changes in your hormone levels, like menopause or switching or stopping birth control pills, are two possibilities.
- Pediatricians Endorse New Acne Treatment Guidelines
May 6, 2013 — Experts note many medications now available for range of cases
- Teen Acne Solutions
May 1, 2013 — Most teens will have some acne, ranging from an occasional breakout to chronic acne. But it can be treated. Here's what works to curb pimples.
- Virus Fights Acne
September 25, 2012 — Viruses that kill acne-causing bacteria might make a powerful acne treatment, new research suggests.
- Curing the College Acne Blues
August 20, 2012 — Why your skin can break out in college -- and what you can do about it.
- Thyme’s Time as Acne Remedy May Be Coming Soon
April 12, 2012 — Largely due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, the herb thyme – which is found with other herbs in the produce section of most food store -- may well earn itself a place in the skin care section of your local drug store.
- Acne Patients Who Take Antibiotics May Get More Sore Throats
November 22, 2011 — Young adults taking oral antibiotics for acne were more than three times more likely to complain of sore throats than people who weren't, a new studies show.
- Low-Carb Diets May Improve Acne
August 8, 2011 — Low-carb eating plans such as the South Beach Diet may do more than promote weight loss, these diets may also improve acne.
- Healthy Diet, Healthy Skin
June 18, 2011 — Does your diet affect your skin? Learn more about the link between skin and nutrition.
- Can Foods Make You Break Out?
April 26, 2011 — You may know the best foods for your skin, but do you know the foods that may be linked to acne and other complexion problems? WebMD asks experts about what they think are the worst foods for skin health.the possible links between foods and skin problems.
- A Guide to Treating Mild Acne
April 20, 2011 — Dealing with acne blemishes and breakouts? A guide to treating and caring for mild acne.
- When It's More Than Acne
April 20, 2011 — If your acne is more than an occasional problem, it could be linked to a hormonal condition. How to tackle acne when it's more than just skin-deep.
- When to See Your Doctor About Acne
April 20, 2011 — If drugstore treatments don't control your pimples or acne, when should you see a doctor about your acne?
- A Guide to Severe Acne Treatment
April 19, 2011 — Severe acne is treatable. Find out what can be done to treat this stubborn skin problem.
- Moderate to Severe Acne: A Treatment Guide
April 19, 2011 — If your acne is more than an occasional breakout, you may need to change your treatment regimen. Facts on treating moderate to severe acne.
- How to Manage Oily Skin
April 19, 2011 — Oily skin can lead to acne flare-ups. Learn what the experts recommend to manage oily skin and fight acne.
- How to Manage Emotional Effects of Acne
April 19, 2011 — If you're having an outbreak of acne, there's a lot you can do to keep it from putting a dent in your self-esteem. There's no need to let blemishes stop you from keeping up your social life.
- How Your Period Affects Acne
April 11, 2011 — Another pimple? The connection between your menstrual cycle and acne breakouts.
- Medications That Can Cause Acne
March 31, 2011 — If you have acne, it could be caused by medications you're taking for other conditions. Learn how drugs can be the source of your acne.
- Stress and Acne
March 31, 2011 — Does your acne break out when you're stressed out? You're not alone. Find out how stress may make your acne worse.
- Early Success for Gel That Treats Acne Scars
February 8, 2011 — A gel made from a person's own blood may help to fill in acne scars, preliminary research suggests.
- Does Chocolate Make Acne Worse?
February 8, 2011 — What your mother always told you may be true after all: Chocolate may exacerbate acne, a small preliminary study suggests.
- Expert Q&A: The Best Skin Care Routine for People With Acne and Rosacea
February 4, 2011 — If you have acne or rosacea, adding skin care products and cosmetics into your daily routine can pose a challenge.
- You Asked! Expert A's to Your Beauty Q's: Acne and Rosacea Products
January 4, 2011 — Not sure which products are best for your skin problems? Our experts give their top picks for handling acne and rosacea.
- Severe Acne Raises Suicide Risk, Study Finds
November 11, 2010 — Anecdotal reports of suicides in patients taking Accutane for severe acne have long plagued the drug, but studies have failed to prove or disprove a link to suicidal behaviors.
- Tackling teenage skin problems
September 30, 2010 —