Hair Loss News & Features
- Hair Loss Supplements Show Promise in New Study
December 7, 2022 — Some nonprescription hair loss products may actually be effective, according to a new review in a prestigious medical journal.
- Is Balding Unavoidable? New Research Suggests Not
July 29, 2022 — Scientists identify a single chemical that someday could help end baldness and speed wound healing
- Future Is Brighter for Alopecia Treatment: Expert
July 19, 2022 — For many people with severe alopecia areata, who have lived with baldness, or with scalps only sparsely dotted with hair, or with missing eyebrows or lashes, the future has a new look.
- FDA OKS First Treatment for Hair-Loss Condition Alopecia
June 14, 2022 — The condition can cause hair loss over the entire body, most noticeably patchy baldness on the head, sometimes including the loss of eyelashes and eyebrows.
- Oscars Fight Highlights for Many the Toll Alopecia May Carry
March 28, 2022 — Individuals with alopecia areata are speaking out in support of Jada Pinkett Smith amid last night’s Oscar Awards chaos, along with sharing the emotional toll that can come with hair loss.
- Bald Truth: Mouse Study May Get at Roots of Hair Loss
October 28, 2021 — New research in mice may provide clues to age-related hair loss in men and women.
- Hair Regrowth Stimulated by Microneedle Patch
August 27, 2021 — The experimental approach delivers nanoparticles to hair follicles to support regrowth.
- Hair Loss Not Just a Male Problem
August 2, 2019 — Hair loss is just as common in women, and it can occur due to factors such as genetics, and the hairstyles and hair products used by women.
- Meet Rosie: She Inspires Other Kids With Hair Loss
July 11, 2019 — Rosie Quinn was 2 when she started losing her hair. Now at age 8, she’s embraced being bald, and she helps other kids who’ve lost hair due to medical conditions.
- Unlocking the Mysteries of Hair Growth
November 29, 2018 — New research offers a possible explanation for why hair grows on some parts of your body but not others. Scientists found that hairless skin secretes a protein that blocks a signaling pathway (WNT) that controls hair growth.
- A Bone Drug That Treats Baldness?
May 8, 2018 — Only two drugs -- minoxidil (Rogaine) and finasteride (Propecia, Proscar) -- exist to treat so-called male-pattern balding. Both have side effects and often produce disappointing hair regrowth results, the researchers noted.
- Haywire Immune Cells May Help Cause Baldness
May 25, 2017 — Cells that fight inflammation also play role in hair growth, mice study finds
- Prostate, Hair Loss Drugs Not Tied to Suicide Risk
March 20, 2017 — However, medications like Propecia, Proscar may be tied to depression, study finds
- Geneticists Get to the Roots of Hair Loss in Men
February 14, 2017 — Researchers spot close to 300 genetic regions linked to baldness, which could provide targets for treatment
- Arthritis Drug May Help With Type of Hair Loss
September 22, 2016 — Researchers saw regrowth in patients with the autoimmune disease alopecia areata
- Survey: Hair Transplants Make Men Look Younger
August 25, 2016 — Study supports notion that balding men appear older, less attractive
- Today's Hair Style Could Cause Hair Loss Tomorrow
April 29, 2016 — Black women who prefer scalp-pulling hairdos seem especially at risk, study indicates
- Hair Styling Can Cause Hair Loss for Black Women
March 4, 2016 — Survey finds the problem is undiagnosed, and may also have a genetic root
- Hairless Man Now Hairy, Thanks to Arthritis Drug
June 20, 2014 — Success points to possible treatment for condition called alopecia areata universalis.
- New Hair-Loss Treatments in the Pipeline
March 31, 2014 — New hair loss treatments on the not-too-distant horizon may be game-changers for the millions of men and women faced with hair loss.
- Baldness Cure May Have Inched a Bit Closer
January 28, 2014 — In mouse study, scientists say they've used stem cells to grow large numbers of active follicles
- Product Picks for Thinning Hair
December 9, 2013 — Learn which products to use or avoid to help you look your best and spend less time worrying about thinning hair.
- Hidden Causes of Hair Loss
December 9, 2013 — If you're losing hair, the biggest question is why. Here's an in-depth look at factors that may contribute to hair loss, including lifestyle, heredity, and medical causes.
- Thinning Hair: Can Medications Help?
December 9, 2013 — Don't give in to thinning hair. Medications are available that can help restore women's hair, too.
- Hair Loss: Tips for Coloring
December 9, 2013 — Fight back - don’t let thinning hair sap your confidence -- or your style. Learn why your hair might be getting thinner, what products and medications can help, and tips for looking your best.
- Researchers Report Progress With Growing Hair
October 21, 2013 — But experts note the findings are preliminary, don't amount to cure for baldness yet
- How to Prevent Balding
September 25, 2012 — Think there's no growing back? Not true -- here's what to do about balding.
- Natural Ways to Strengthen Hair
March 19, 2012 — WebMD talks to experts about natural treatments for hair loss.
- Divorce, Heavy Drinking, Smoking Linked to Hair Loss
September 23, 2011 — Preliminary findings from new studies of male and female identical twins suggest that a broad range of lifestyle factors, including stress, smoking, heavy drinking, and sun exposure, may also foil the follicles.
- Robot Hair-Transplant Device Gets FDA Nod
April 29, 2011 — The FDA has cleared Restoration Robotics' Artas System for removing hair follicles from the scalp for transplant to bald areas. It's approved only for people with black or brown straight hair.
- Women and Hair Loss: Possible Causes
April 14, 2011 — WebMD talks to experts about the possible causes of hair loss in women.
- Braids, Weaves Raise Risk of Hair Loss
April 11, 2011 — Some hairstyles favored by African-American women including tight braids and weaves may increase their risk of developing an irreversible form of scarring hair loss, according to a new study.
- New Genetic Clues Help Explain Baldness
January 4, 2011 — A genetic defect in the way hair follicle cells develop may play an important role male-pattern baldness and offer an alternative avenue for future treatments.
- Caring for Your Thinning Hair
September 29, 2010 — For women with hair loss, there are many options to improving your appearance. WebMD discusses styles, products, and other ways to make your hair appear thicker.
- Scientists Find Possible Genetic Roots of Type of Hair Loss
June 30, 2010 — Scientists have identified eight genes that may be associated with the skin disease alopecia areata, a common cause of hair loss that affects 5.3 million Americans.
- New Hair Loss Gene Is Identified
April 14, 2010 — A gene responsible for a rare hair loss disorder may also play an important role in male pattern baldness, according to a new study.
- Survey: Most Baldness Treatments Don't Work
April 6, 2010 — Most baldness cures just don’t cut it, according to a new Consumer Reports magazine survey of more than 8,000 men and women who have personal experience with hair loss.
- Expert Q and A: Fighting Hair Loss in Women
March 11, 2010 — Many women with hair loss suffer in silence, altering their hairstyle to hide thinning or patches. But the sooner you seek care, the better the chances of successfully treating it.
- Baldness: 6 New Gene Discoveries
October 13, 2008 — Scientists have discovered six gene variants that are linked to male-pattern baldness; findings may lead to new treatments.
- Banishing Baldness?
July 31, 2008 — Scientists have found a molecule in mice that sends a signal to cells urging hair follicles to grow. Could this lead to the death of the comb-over?
- Quick Test May Help Spot Male Hair Loss
June 16, 2008 — A simple, 60-second hair count test may help men tell the difference between normal hair loss and early signs of male pattern baldness.
- Gene Clue May Spur New Baldness Drugs
February 26, 2008 — Mutations in the P2RY5 gene may make baldness more likely and may make a good target for new baldness drugs, new research shows.
- Coaxing New Hair Follicles to Grow
May 16, 2007 — It may be possible to grow new hair follicles, according to scientists studying mice.
- Gene Glitch May Up Inherited Hair Loss
November 9, 2006 — Glitches in the LIPH gene may cause inherited hair loss, a study shows.
- Hair Loss? It May Be Iron Deficiency
May 16, 2006 — Hair Loss? It May Be Iron Deficiency
- Drug May Fight Women's Hair Loss, Too
March 20, 2006 — Propecia, a drug used to treat male hair loss, may help fix women's hair loss when taken with birth control pills, a new study shows.
- Experimental Gene Therapy Grows Hair
September 26, 2005 — If you're hair impaired, a new finding about mice offers hope for rejuvenating barren hair follicles.
- Blame Male Pattern Baldness on Mom?
May 27, 2005 — Mothers may unwittingly put their sons on the path to baldness. Chalk it up to genetics, says European researchers.
- Hair Stem Cells Not Just for Baldness
March 28, 2005 — Stem cells from hair follicles can give rise to new nerve cells, researchers report.