A doctor who specializes in skin care, called a dermatologist, can be a big help with your psoriasis. They'll be up to date on all the triggers you should avoid, symptoms, and treatments.
When you look for a dermatologist, start by asking your primary care doctor for a recommendation. You can also check with the American Academy of Dermatology, which has lists of specially trained doctors. A nearby medical school is another resource.
Questions to Ask a Dermatologist
Ask these questions to help you choose the right doctor for you:
- Does your office accept my insurance?
- How quickly can I schedule a visit?
- Do you have patient references?
- Are you available after hours?
- Do you have evening or weekend hours?
- Do you have a special area of interest in skin care?
- How many patients with psoriasis have you treated?
- Do you offer biologic therapies for psoriasis?