Sleep Disorders Features
Tips to Fit Your Sleep Style
- How Age, Gender, Weight, and More Can Affect Sleep
Your age, gender, weight and more may influence the quality of your sleep. Learn more about the impact of social and economic factors.
- Tips for Better Sleep from People Who’ve Struggled With Insomnia
What helps when you can't sleep? Here's what our survey found worked best to help people get some shut-eye.
- What’s Keeping America Up at Night?
Why do so many of us struggle to get enough good-quality sleep? A new WebMD study looks at America’s sleep habits.
- Why Good Sleep Matters for Your Heart’s Health
Not enough zzz's? Too many? Both can affect your cardiac health.
- Get Morning Light, Sleep Better at Night
Find out why morning light can make for a better night’s sleep – and how much time it takes in the morning.
- How to Change Your Mindset About Sleep
Do you dread bedtime because sleep isn’t restorative for you? Maybe it’s time for a sleep mindset change. Here’s how to shift your thinking on sleep.
- What’s the Best Temperature for Sleep?
Keeping your bedroom cool, even when it’s cold outside, may help you get longer, more restful sleep.
- The Emotional Toll of Chronic Insomnia
Insomnia can affect your mood, and your mood can have an impact on how well you sleep. Learn more about what sleep loss does to your emotions.
- Living With Chronic Insomnia
Struggling with sleep problems for years can take a toll on your health and relationships. Learn how one man's insomnia diagnosis caused positive changes.
- What do Dreams Mean?
Learn about dreams and their meanings.
- How to Sleep Better While Traveling / On a Road Trip
Struggling to sleep while you travel? Learn about what things might throw a wrench in your travel sleep plans and how to avoid them.
- 7 Things to Help You Sleep Better
Learn how to fall asleep quicker and sleep better.
- How I Lead a Balanced Life With Narcolepsy
A young narcolepsy advocate explains how she took charge of her physical and mental health.
- 6 Signs That You Need to Replace Your Mattress
Learn the signs that mean your mattress needs to be replaced.
- The Benefits of Reading Before Bed: 6 Reasons Why You Should Pick Up Your Book Before Bed
Learn about why and how reading relaxes you and helps you fall asleep.
- Best Scents for Waking Up
Struggling to stay alert throughout the day? Learn more about the best scents for waking up.
- Cannabis, CBD, and Sleep
Thinking about trying CBD or other cannabis compound to help you sleep? Here’s what you need to know.
- When Your Child Has Narcolepsy: What to Know
Narcolepsy is a disorder that affects the brain’s ability to control sleep and alertness. Without proper treatment, it can hinder your child’s school, social, and personal life. Learn more about how to support your child though their condition.
- Narcolepsy: Complementary and Alternative Treatments
If you have narcolepsy, certain complementary or alternative medicines like yoga or herbal teas may help ease or manage some of the symptoms.
- Why Sleep Hygiene Doesn’t Always Work
Good sleep habits, called sleep hygiene, can help you get better rest. But it may not work for ongoing insomnia. See what may help instead.
- How to Reset Your Sleep Cycle When You Live With Insomnia
You already have insomnia. What happens when life adds more interruptions to your sleep? Find out how you can keep your sleep on track when life gets in the way.
- Narcolepsy: Tips and Tricks to Manage Your Day-to-Day
Narcolepsy can make life complicated, but with the help of a sleep doctor and some tips and tricks to get you through the day, you can manage your days better.
- Is Narcolepsy an Autoimmune Disorder?
We look at evidence that points to narcolepsy as an autoimmune disorder and what that could mean for diagnosis and treatment.
- What Can Make Narcolepsy Worse?
Narcolepsy attacks can come and go. How well you sleep at night might affect how often you have bouts of extreme sleepiness during the day.
- Navigating Relationships When You Have Narcolepsy
Narcolepsy can affect many different parts of your life, including the relationships you build. Learn about the challenges of maintaining relationships when you have narcolepsy and ways to navigate those relationships.
- Narcolepsy and Your Diet
Learn about the link between narcolepsy and obesity, best foods for narcolepsy, how and when to eat, and if a low-carb or keto diet helps with symptoms.
- Meeting Couples’ Different Sleep Needs
When partners have different sleep needs or habits, it can be tough for both people to get enough rest -- and cause stress in the relationship as well. Learn how to manage these issues and slumber better together.
- Why Am I Waking Up Gasping for Air?
Do you find yourself waking up at night gasping for air? It may be sleep apnea and it may not. Find out what can cause these breathing issues at night and what you can do about them.
- Tips for Adjusting to Life With Idiopathic Hypersomnia
Living with this condition can be a challenge, but it's not impossible. Here are strategies that can help.
- The Mystery Behind Idiopathic Hypersomnia
Experts are still trying to figure out what causes this sleeping disorder. Learn clues about what might bring on IH.
- New and Future Sleep Tech for Narcolepsy
If you have narcolepsy, will popular sleep apps, devices, or other smart technology help you manage your condition? Before you use or buy any sleep tech, find out which ones may be useful for you.
- How I Plan My Workday With Narcolepsy
A producer describes how she manages narcolepsy in the high-pressure world of local news.
- What People Don’t Understand About Narcolepsy
A college student and competitive weightlifter with narcolepsy shares the most frustrating misconceptions she hears.
- Can’t Sleep? When to Just Get Out of Bed
It seems counterintuitive, but if you just can’t sleep, it may help to get out of bed. Here’s how do it so that you can get back in bed and back to sleep as soon as possible.
- Narcolepsy: Give Your Experience a Name
Narcolepsy advocate Julie Flygare shares how she spreads the word to help others with this condition.
- Narcolepsy: A Day in the Life
Luis E. Ortiz, MD, a pediatric sleep medicine doctor and the conference and research chairs for the Narcolepsy Network, also has narcolepsy. Learn about the routine that helps him get through his day.
- A Narcolepsy Diagnosis Brings Hope and Challenges
Narcolepsy expert Kimberly Truong, MD, talks about challenges for those new to narcolepsy, from getting diagnosed to setting sleep schedules to explaining their condition to others.
- Narcolepsy: My Daily Routine
From eating healthy to getting to sleep on time, learn about the daily routine former professional golfer Nicole Jeray follows to keep her narcolepsy under control.
- Narcolepsy in Focus: The Future of Sleep Research
Narcolepsy researcher Lois E. Krahn, MD, shares her insight into emerging treatments and efforts to understand the disease’s origins.
- The Impact of Narcolepsy on My Life
How does life change when you have narcolepsy? It's different for everyone, but here's one artist's story.
- Living With Someone Who Has Narcolepsy
What's it like to live with someone who has narcolepsy? One woman shares her story.
- Is Sleep Tracking Wrecking Your Slumber?
These gadgets are meant to measure your sleep. As it turns out, this info may not always be helpful. Learn the pros and cons of sleep tracking.
- Teens' Lack of Sleep Tied to Heart Disease Risk
Most kids aren't getting enough sleep, and it's putting their heart health at risk, a new study says.
- What Is Segmented Sleep and Is It Healthy?
Find out whether it's a good idea to break up your nighttime slumber into two shifts.
- Why Can’t I Sleep?
There are eight sneaky things that can sabotage your sleep.
- Can Exercising at Night Hurt Your Sleep?
Workout after dark? Find out if it affects your shut-eye.
- Does 'Sleeping On It' Really Work?
How a little shut-eye benefits your brain.
- Got 60 Minutes for a Nap? How About 6?
Both can be beneficial. See the benefits of catching a few ZZZs.
- Is It Possible to Get Too Much Sleep
Is it bad to sleep more than 7 to 9 hours a night?