Sleep Disorders News & Features
Eating a Hearty Breakfast Can Ease Jet Lag Symptoms: Study
- For Older Adults, Best Sleep Temp is 70-74 Degrees: Study
September 15, 2023 — Older adults sleep best when the room temperature is 70 to 74 degrees, according to a recent study.
- Study Says One-Third of Americans Choose ‘Sleep Divorce’
July 13, 2023 — More than a third of Americans choose to sleep away from their partners in a “sleep divorce” to avoid common nighttime disruptions like snoring, insomnia, and differing alarm times, according to new research from the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
- Sleepwalking and Insomnia: What’s the Connection?
May 9, 2023 — Is there a link between sleepwalking and the sleep disorder insomnia? Here's what to know.
- Sleep Apnea May Cause Cognitive Problems: Study
April 20, 2023 — Trouble with brain functions among people with sleep apnea were thought to be caused by other health issues such as obesity, high blood pressure, or diabetes.
- Bad Sleep Cuts Years Off Your Life, but Exercise Can Save You
April 11, 2023 — Sleep problems can raise the risk of heart disease and early death – unless you’re physically active.
- Have IBD and Insomnia? You’re Not Alone
March 16, 2023 — More than one-third of people with inflammatory bowel disease report trouble sleeping, with moderate or worse insomnia. And the more severe their insomnia, the worse the disability related to their IBD, a new study finds.
- More Sleep Boosts Vaccine Effectiveness: Study
March 14, 2023 — Compared to people who slept at least 7 hours, people who slept less than 6 hours in the days surrounding a vaccine shot generated significantly fewer antibodies.
- Sleeping Pills May Increase Dementia Risk: Study
March 3, 2023 — A new study has linked heavy use of sleeping medications to the development of dementia later on.
- Insomnia Increases Risk of Heart Attack: Study
March 1, 2023 — People with insomnia and those who slept only a few hours a night had a greater risk of heart attack than others, according to a new study.
- Tips to Fit Your Sleep Style
Are you a night owl or an early bird? Or do you burn the candle at both ends? See what your sleep style is and what you can do to sleep better.
- 18% of U.S. Adults Use Sleep Aids, Report Says
February 8, 2023 — Almost 1 in 5 American adults regularly use prescription or over-the-counter medicine to help them sleep, a new government report says.
- How Age, Gender, Weight, and More Can Affect Sleep
Your age, gender, weight and more may influence the quality of your sleep. Learn more about the impact of social and economic factors.
- What’s Keeping America Up at Night?
Why do so many of us struggle to get enough good-quality sleep? A new WebMD study looks at America’s sleep habits.
- Tips for Better Sleep from People Who’ve Struggled With Insomnia
What helps when you can't sleep? Here's what our survey found worked best to help people get some shut-eye.
- Getting More Daylight Could Mean Better Sleep at Night
December 22, 2022 — Falling asleep later and waking up later this time of year? You may need to reset your sleep/wake clock. Going outside to get more daylight exposure – especially in the morning – might help, new evidence suggests.
- Positive Sounds During REM Sleep May Help Nightmares
October 28, 2022 — People with nightmare disorder had a special sound played while they practiced reimagining their new positive dreams. Those who heard the sound reported significantly fewer nightmares.
- Weighted Blanket Coziness Promotes Sleep by Releasing Melatonin
October 6, 2022 — Feeling cozy and safe with the help of a weighted blanket may help promote sleep by releasing melatonin, a hormone associated with sleep.
- When Sleep Becomes a Nightmare: My Struggle With Narcolepsy
Left untreated, narcolepsy can hold you back both socially and professionally, to say nothing of wreaking havoc on your mental health.
- Why Good Sleep Matters for Your Heart’s Health
Not enough zzz's? Too many? Both can affect your cardiac health.
- Get Morning Light, Sleep Better at Night
Find out why morning light can make for a better night’s sleep – and how much time it takes in the morning.
- How to Change Your Mindset About Sleep
Do you dread bedtime because sleep isn’t restorative for you? Maybe it’s time for a sleep mindset change. Here’s how to shift your thinking on sleep.
- What’s the Best Temperature for Sleep?
Keeping your bedroom cool, even when it’s cold outside, may help you get longer, more restful sleep.
- How to Safely Use Insomnia Medications
Sometimes, medications are a short-term option for chronic insomnia. Learn which are most effective, what side effects are, and how to take them safely.
- Living With Chronic Insomnia
Struggling with sleep problems for years can take a toll on your health and relationships. Learn how one man's insomnia diagnosis caused positive changes.
- The Emotional Toll of Chronic Insomnia
Insomnia can affect your mood, and your mood can have an impact on how well you sleep. Learn more about what sleep loss does to your emotions.
- What do Dreams Mean?
Learn about dreams and their meanings.
- How to Sleep Better While Traveling / On a Road Trip
Struggling to sleep while you travel? Learn about what things might throw a wrench in your travel sleep plans and how to avoid them.
- 7 Things to Help You Sleep Better
Learn how to fall asleep quicker and sleep better.
- Separating Narcolepsy Symptoms From Those of Other Disorders
A doctor explains how people with narcolepsy may have other medical problems along with it. Learn what these conditions are and why getting the right diagnosis is so important.
- How I Lead a Balanced Life With Narcolepsy
A young narcolepsy advocate explains how she took charge of her physical and mental health.
- 6 Signs That You Need to Replace Your Mattress
Learn the signs that mean your mattress needs to be replaced.
- The Benefits of Reading Before Bed: 6 Reasons Why You Should Pick Up Your Book Before Bed
Learn about why and how reading relaxes you and helps you fall asleep.
- Best Scents for Waking Up
Struggling to stay alert throughout the day? Learn more about the best scents for waking up.
- Cannabis, CBD, and Sleep
Thinking about trying CBD or other cannabis compound to help you sleep? Here’s what you need to know.
- When Your Child Has Narcolepsy: What to Know
Narcolepsy is a disorder that affects the brain’s ability to control sleep and alertness. Without proper treatment, it can hinder your child’s school, social, and personal life. Learn more about how to support your child though their condition.
- Narcolepsy: Complementary and Alternative Treatments
If you have narcolepsy, certain complementary or alternative medicines like yoga or herbal teas may help ease or manage some of the symptoms.
- Why Sleep Hygiene Doesn’t Always Work
Good sleep habits, called sleep hygiene, can help you get better rest. But it may not work for ongoing insomnia. See what may help instead.
- How to Reset Your Sleep Cycle When You Live With Insomnia
You already have insomnia. What happens when life adds more interruptions to your sleep? Find out how you can keep your sleep on track when life gets in the way.
- Narcolepsy: Tips and Tricks to Manage Your Day-to-Day
Narcolepsy can make life complicated, but with the help of a sleep doctor and some tips and tricks to get you through the day, you can manage your days better.
- Is Narcolepsy an Autoimmune Disorder?
We look at evidence that points to narcolepsy as an autoimmune disorder and what that could mean for diagnosis and treatment.
- What Can Make Narcolepsy Worse?
Narcolepsy attacks can come and go. How well you sleep at night might affect how often you have bouts of extreme sleepiness during the day.
- Navigating Relationships When You Have Narcolepsy
Narcolepsy can affect many different parts of your life, including the relationships you build. Learn about the challenges of maintaining relationships when you have narcolepsy and ways to navigate those relationships.
- Narcolepsy and Your Diet
Learn about the link between narcolepsy and obesity, best foods for narcolepsy, how and when to eat, and if a low-carb or keto diet helps with symptoms.
- Meeting Couples’ Different Sleep Needs
When partners have different sleep needs or habits, it can be tough for both people to get enough rest -- and cause stress in the relationship as well. Learn how to manage these issues and slumber better together.
- Why Am I Waking Up Gasping for Air?
Do you find yourself waking up at night gasping for air? It may be sleep apnea and it may not. Find out what can cause these breathing issues at night and what you can do about them.
- The Mystery Behind Idiopathic Hypersomnia
Experts are still trying to figure out what causes this sleeping disorder. Learn clues about what might bring on IH.
- Tips for Adjusting to Life With Idiopathic Hypersomnia
Living with this condition can be a challenge, but it's not impossible. Here are strategies that can help.
- New and Future Sleep Tech for Narcolepsy
If you have narcolepsy, will popular sleep apps, devices, or other smart technology help you manage your condition? Before you use or buy any sleep tech, find out which ones may be useful for you.
- How I Plan My Workday With Narcolepsy
A producer describes how she manages narcolepsy in the high-pressure world of local news.