Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
1) Wand_Prapan / Getty Images
2) Toa55 / Getty Images
3) Phanie / Science Source
4) COLIN CUTHBERT / Science Source
5) monkeybusinessimages / Getty Images
6) Pam Walker / Getty Images
7) Iconica / Getty Images
8) Rostislav_Sedlacek / Getty Images
9) Clockwise from top left: Bojsha65 / Thinkstock, egal / Getty Images, margouillatphotos/ Getty Images, olgakr / Getty Images, baibaz / Getty Images
10) Tijana87 / Thinkstock
11) Wavebreakmedia / Getty Images
12) Hybrid Medical Animation / Science Source
American Heart Association: “Stroke Symptoms: FAST.”
CDC: “About Stroke,” “Stroke Signs and Symptoms.”
National Institute on Aging: “Rehabilitation After Stroke.”
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke: “Post-Stroke Rehabilitation Fact Sheet.”
American Stroke Association: “Why Getting Quick Stroke Treatment Is Important,” Ischemic Stroke (Clots),” “Stopping the Bleeding in a Hemorrhagic Stroke.”
NYU Langone Health: “Surgery for Carotid Artery Disease.”
News release, American Stroke Association.
Reviewed by James Beckerman, MD, FACC on January 06, 2020
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.