Uric Acid in Blood
The blood uric acid test measures the amount
uric acid in a blood sample. Uric acid is produced
from the natural breakdown of your body's cells and from the foods you
Most of the uric acid is filtered out by the kidneys and
passes out of the body in urine. A small amount passes out of the body in
stool. But if too much uric acid is being produced or if the kidneys are not
able to remove it from the blood normally, the level of uric acid in the blood
High levels of uric acid in the blood can cause solid
crystals to form within joints. This causes a painful condition called
gout . If gout remains untreated, these uric acid
crystals can build up in the joints and nearby tissues, forming hard lumpy
tophi. High levels of uric acid may also cause
kidney stones or
Why It Is Done
A uric acid blood test is done
- Help diagnose gout.
- Check to see if
kidney stones may be caused by high uric acid levels in the
- Check to see if medicine that decreases uric acid levels is
- Check uric acid levels in people who are undergoing
radiation therapy. These treatments destroy cancer
cells that then may leak uric acid into the blood.
How To Prepare
You do not need to do anything before
you have this test.
Some medicines can change the results of this
test. Be sure to tell your doctor about all the nonprescription and
prescription medicines you take.
Talk to your doctor about any
concerns you have regarding the need for the test, its risks, how it will be
done, or what the results may mean. To help you understand the importance
of this test, fill out the
medical test information form(What is a PDF document?).
How It Is Done
The health professional who takes a
sample of your blood will:
- Wrap an elastic band around your upper arm to stop the flow of
blood. This makes the veins below the band larger so it is easier to put a
needle into the vein.
- Clean the needle site with
- Put the needle into the vein. More than one needle stick
may be needed.
- Attach a tube to the needle to fill it with
- Remove the band from your arm when enough blood is
- Put a gauze pad or cotton ball over the needle site as
the needle is removed.
- Put pressure on the site and then put on a