What’s Your Skin Type?
Your skin type can change over time. For example, younger people are more likely than older people to have a normal skin type.
Skin types vary depending upon factors such as:
- Water content, which affects your skin's comfort and elasticity
- Oil (lipid) content, which affects your skin's softness
- Sensitivity level
Normal Skin Type
Normal skin is not too dry and not too oily. It has:
- No or few imperfections
- No severe sensitivity
- Barely visible pores
- A radiant complexion
Combination Skin Type
A combination skin type can be dry or normal in some areas and oily in others, such as the T-zone (nose, forehead, and chin). Many people have combination skin, which may benefit from slightly different types of skin care in different areas.
Combination skin can produce:
- Overly dilated pores
- Shiny skin
Dry Skin Type
Dry skin can produce:
- Almost invisible pores
- Dull, rough complexion
- Red patches
- Less elasticity
- More visible lines
When exposed to drying factors, skin can crack, peel, or become itchy, irritated, or inflamed. If your skin is very dry, it can become rough and scaly, especially on the backs of your hands, arms, and legs.
Dry skin may be caused or made worse by:
- Genetic factors
- Aging or hormonal changes
- Weather such as wind, sun, or cold
- Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from tanning beds
- Indoor heating
- Long, hot baths and showers
- Ingredients in soaps, cosmetics, or cleansers
Here are some tips for taking better care of dry skin:
- Take shorter showers and baths, no more than once daily.
- Use mild, gentle soaps or cleansers. Avoid deodorant soaps.
- Don't scrub while bathing or drying.
- Apply a rich moisturizer right after bathing. Ointments and creams may work better than lotions for dry skin but are often messier. Reapply as needed throughout the day.
- Use a humidifier and don't let indoor temperatures get too hot.
- Wear gloves when using cleaning agents, solvents, or household detergents.
Oily Skin Type
Oily skin can produce:
- Enlarged pores
- Dull or shiny, thick complexion
- Blackheads, pimples, or other blemishes