Eight Simple Foods to Boost Skin Health
Whether you are looking to defeat a particular skin problem, or simply wanting to gain -- or keep -- that youthful glow, herein our experts offer a list of eight simple foods that can feed your skin head-to-toe.
- Seafood 3 times weekly. The key is omega-3 fatty acids, and salmon, tuna, and mackerel have the highest amount. If you're worried about toxins in fish, remember the FDA says up to 12 ounces a week is fine -- so three 4-ounce servings are fine. They recommend a variety of fish. In addition, studies show adding fish to your diet can also help reduce the inflammation associated with psoriasis and even eczema.
- Nuts, grains, seeds. A handful of walnuts -- about 1 ounce -- gives you the same amount of omega-3 as 3.5 ounces of salmon. Flax seed sprinkled on cereal or used in muffins also offers a generous supply.
- Olive oil. Your skin needs at least 2 tablespoons of oil a day for proper lubrication -- so if you're watching your diet and cutting down on fatty foods (a good thing) be sure to douse your salad with olive oil daily, or use it in recipes in place of other fats.
- Fruit. While all fruits are great for healthy skin, chose a variety. The recommended serving is two to four per day.
- Vegetables. You just can't enough of these -- and their powerful antioxidant benefits. Try lots of leafy greens, plus squash, pumpkin, and sweet potato for loads of vitamin A.
- Whole-grain cereals and breads. The key here is to use these items to replace white flour and other refined baked goods and cereals in your diet, all of which are linked to an inflammatory reaction that can be harmful to skin.
- Brazil nuts, tuna, and turkey. Studies show these selenium-rich foods can help reduce the inflammation associated with acne breakouts.
- Tea. Be it white, green, or black, studies show the polyphenols found in tea have anti-inflammatory properties that may be beneficial to skin. Plus, one study published in the Archives of Dermatology found drinking 3 cups of oolong tea a day cut eczema symptoms for 54% of those who tried it.