How Can I Prevent Autism?
Although the cause of autism is not known, many researchers believe genetics is responsible for 90% of the risk of a child developing autism. Rare cases may be caused by chemical exposure and other agents that can cause birth defects.
To reduce the risk of having a child with an autistic disorder:
- Have regular check-ups, eat healthy, exercise and take all recommended vitamins and supplements when you are pregnant.
- Do not take drugs during pregnancy unless your doctor approves; this is particularly true for some antiseizure medications.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages of any kind while you are pregnant.
- If you've been diagnosed with PKU or celiac disease, get treatment.
- Getting immunized against German measles (rubella) before pregnancy can prevent rubella-associated autism.