Treatment of Low-Risk Neuroblastoma
Table 2. Children's Oncology Group (COG) Risk/Treatment Group Assignments for Children Aged 0 to 12 Years for the ANBL00B1 and ANBL0531 Trials
DI = DNA index; FH = favorable histology; INSS = International Neuroblastoma Staging System; UH = unfavorable histology.
a If tumor contains chromosomal 1p loss of heterozygosity (LOH) or unbalanced (unb)-11q LOH, or if LOH data are missing, treatment assignment is upgraded to the next Group. Adapted from COG-ANBL0531 protocol.
|INSS Stage and Risk Group Treatment Assignment||Age||Biology|
|Group 1: Observation||�||�|
|Stage 1||0-30 y||Any|
|Stage 2A/2B ? 50% resected||0-30 y||MYCN-NA; Any histology or DI|
|Stage 4S||<365 d||MYCN-NA; FH; DI >1|
|Group 2: 2 cycles (chemotherapy)||�||�|
|Stage 2A/2B < 50% resected or biopsy only||0-12 y||MYCN-NA; Any histology or DIa|
|Stage 3||<365 d||MYCN-NA; FH; DI > 1a|
|Stage 3||?365 d-12 y||MYCN-NA; FHa|
|Stage 4S (Symptomatic) ||<365 d||MYCN-NA; FH; DI >1a|
|Group 3: 4 cycles (chemotherapy)||�||�|
|Stage 3||<365 d||MYCN-NA; Either DI= 1 and/or UHa|
|Stage 4||<365 d||MYCN-NA; FH; DI > 1a|
|Stage 4S||<365 d||MYCN-NA; Either UH and any DI or FH and DI= 1a|
|Group 4: 8 cycles (chemotherapy)||�||�|
|Stage 4S||<365 d||Unknown biologic features|
|Stage 4||<365 d||MYCN-NA; Either DI =1 and/or UH|
|Stage 3||365 d-547 d||MYCN-NA; UH; any ploidy|
|Stage 4||365 d-547 d||MYCN-NA; FH; DI >1|
The prior and current COG neuroblastoma treatment plans also define the treatment for progression or recurrence of low-risk neuroblastoma. The treatment is dependent on the characteristics of the progression or recurrence. (Refer to the Recurrent Neuroblastoma section of this summary for more information.)
Current Clinical Trials
Check for U.S. clinical trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials that are now accepting patients with neuroblastoma. The list of clinical trials can be further narrowed by location, drug, intervention, and other criteria.
General information about clinical trials is also available from the NCI Web site.
- Matthay KK, Perez C, Seeger RC, et al.: Successful treatment of stage III neuroblastoma based on prospective biologic staging: a Children's Cancer Group study. J Clin Oncol 16 (4): 1256-64, 1998.
- Hayes FA, Green A, Hustu HO, et al.: Surgicopathologic staging of neuroblastoma: prognostic significance of regional lymph node metastases. J Pediatr 102 (1): 59-62, 1983.
- Evans AR, Brand W, de Lorimier A, et al.: Results in children with local and regional neuroblastoma managed with and without vincristine, cyclophosphamide, and imidazolecarboxamide. A report from the Children's Cancer Study Group. Am J Clin Oncol 7 (1): 3-7, 1984.
- Alvarado CS, London WB, Look AT, et al.: Natural history and biology of stage A neuroblastoma: a Pediatric Oncology Group Study. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 22 (3): 197-205, 2000 May-Jun.
- Perez CA, Matthay KK, Atkinson JB, et al.: Biologic variables in the outcome of stages I and II neuroblastoma treated with surgery as primary therapy: a children's cancer group study. J Clin Oncol 18 (1): 18-26, 2000.
- Nishihira H, Toyoda Y, Tanaka Y, et al.: Natural course of neuroblastoma detected by mass screening: s 5-year prospective study at a single institution. J Clin Oncol 18 (16): 3012-7, 2000.
- Holgersen LO, Subramanian S, Kirpekar M, et al.: Spontaneous resolution of antenatally diagnosed adrenal masses. J Pediatr Surg 31 (1): 153-5, 1996.
- Hero B, Simon T, Spitz R, et al.: Localized infant neuroblastomas often show spontaneous regression: results of the prospective trials NB95-S and NB97. J Clin Oncol 26 (9): 1504-10, 2008.
- Guglielmi M, De Bernardi B, Rizzo A, et al.: Resection of primary tumor at diagnosis in stage IV-S neuroblastoma: does it affect the clinical course? J Clin Oncol 14 (5): 1537-44, 1996.
- Katzenstein HM, Bowman LC, Brodeur GM, et al.: Prognostic significance of age, MYCN oncogene amplification, tumor cell ploidy, and histology in 110 infants with stage D(S) neuroblastoma: the pediatric oncology group experience--a pediatric oncology group study. J Clin Oncol 16 (6): 2007-17, 1998.
- Nickerson HJ, Matthay KK, Seeger RC, et al.: Favorable biology and outcome of stage IV-S neuroblastoma with supportive care or minimal therapy: a Children's Cancer Group study. J Clin Oncol 18 (3): 477-86, 2000.
- Hsu LL, Evans AE, D'Angio GJ: Hepatomegaly in neuroblastoma stage 4s: criteria for treatment of the vulnerable neonate. Med Pediatr Oncol 27 (6): 521-8, 1996.
- Gigliotti AR, Di Cataldo A, Sorrentino S, et al.: Neuroblastoma in the newborn. A study of the Italian Neuroblastoma Registry. Eur J Cancer 45 (18): 3220-7, 2009.