Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
(1) Jeff Shaffer, Dawn Smith / StockFood Creative
(2) Sean Murphy / Taxi / Getty Images
(3) OLIVER LANG / Getty Images
(4) Brand X Pictures
(5) Glowimages / Getty Images
(6) Paul Poplis / Stock Food Creative / Getty Images
(7) Dimitri Spathis & Michele Miller / Stock Food Creative / Getty Images
(8) Mel Yates / Stone / Getty Images
(9) Jim Scherer / StockFood Creative / Stone / Getty Images
(10) Monalyn Gracia / Fancy
(11) Maren Caruso / Jupiter Images
(12) Rob Melnychuk / Digital Vision / Getty Images
(13) Glenn Peterson / StockFood Creative / Getty Images
(14) Acme Food Arts / StockFood Creative / Getty Images
(15) Ryan McVay / Photodisc / Getty Images
(16) Jupiter Images / FoodPix
Calorie Count Plus.
Center for Science in the Public Interest.
Jayne Hurley, RD, senior nutritionist, Center for Science in the Public Interest; co-author, Restaurant Confidential, Workman Publishing, 2002.
Katherine Tallmadge, MA, RD, author, Diet Simple, Lifeline Press, 2011; past spokeswoman, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Liz Weiss, co-author, The Moms’ Guide to Meal Makeovers, Harmony, 2003.
Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD, nutrition consultant; co-author, The Moms' Guide to Meal Makeovers.
Suzanne Farrell, MS, RD, owner, Cherry Creek Nutrition, Denver; former spokeswoman, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Yanovski, J. The New England Journal of Medicine, March 23, 2000.
Reviewed by Maryann Tomovich Jacobsen, MS, RD on February 23, 2016
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.