I have multiple medical conditions and dietary restrictions. Will this program work for me?
If you have a severe, chronic illness, or many restrictions on what you can eat, you should check with your doctor before starting this or any other weight-loss program.
For most people, the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic program is both safe and effective. Based on the National Academy of Science's nutrition guidelines, it's designed to promote slow and steady weight loss through small changes in your diet, along with regular physical activity.
Can I use the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic plan if I am on a low cholesterol diet?
Diets that promote good heart health are well-balanced, limited in saturated fats, and contain plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains with soluble fiber (including oat products, breads, cereals, and some dried beans). In fact, most heart-healthy diets are similar to vegetarian diets except that they include small amounts of lean animal protein.
The WebMD Weight Loss Clinic program recommends that all users choose lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and limited amounts of fat. To make sure you keep cholestrol levels low, select from a wide variety of foods within the meal plan including:
- Plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains
- Lean meats, and low-fat or skim dairy products
- Fish rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, such as salmon and mackerel, two to three times per week
- Oatmeal and legumes, which contain soluble fiber that helps lower cholesterol
- Very little, if any, alcohol. If you do drink, choose a glass of red wine
- Limited amounts of total fats and animal fats; instead, choose heart healthy oils like olive and canola
- No more than one egg per day
And always be sure to check with your doctor before starting any new diet.
Is the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic suitable for people with hypoglycemia?
To keep your blood sugar from dropping, meals that contain carbohydrates also should have protein and fat. Good examples of healthy snacks would be fruit and cheese, peanut butter and celery, and dried fruit and nuts.
You should always check with your doctor before starting any new diet. When following the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic plan, be sure to select from a wide variety of foods within the meal plan, including:
- Plenty of fruits and fruit juices
- Lean meats, fish, poultry, eggs, legumes, nuts and seeds
- Lots of vegetables
- Low-fat dairy products
- Whole grain breads, cereals, and pastas