Treating Fever in Children
2. If Temperature Is Below 102 Degrees F
- You don't need to treat the fever unless the child is uncomfortable.
- Make sure the child gets plenty of fluids and rest.
3. If Temperature Is Above 102 Degrees F but Below 105 Degrees
- You can give child-formula acetaminophen (Tylenol). Ask your pediatrician before giving any fever-reducing medicine to a child for the first time.
- Bathing or sponging the child with lukewarm water may help bring down the temperature. Do not use cold water, ice baths, or alcohol.
- Do not give aspirin to a child under 18 years of age because of the risk of Reye's syndrome, a dangerous brain disease.
- Call your pediatrician to see if you need to bring your child in to see the doctor.
4. Follow Up
- A child should not return to school or day care until the child is fever free fo at least 24 hours.
- Call your pediatrician if the fever lasts for more than two days, gets higher, or you are concerned.
© 2013 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.