- Lie on the floor on your back with your knees bent at a 90-degree angle. Your feet should be flat on the floor, about 12 in. (32 cm) from your buttocks.
- Cross your arms over your chest. If this bothers your neck, try putting your hands behind your neck (not your head), with your elbows spread apart.
- Slowly contract your abdominal muscles and raise your shoulder blades off the floor.
- Keep your head in line with your body-don't press your chin to your chest.
- Hold this position for 1 or 2 seconds, then slowly lower yourself back down to the floor. Repeat 8 to 12 times.
Primary Medical ReviewerWilliam H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Specialist Medical ReviewerJoan Rigg, PT, OCS - Physical Therapy
Current as ofAugust 11, 2014