Potato Products Recalled for Listeria Risk
Northern Star Co. Recalls Certain Packages of Simply Potatoes, Diners Choice, and Farm Fresh Potato Products
Feb. 23, 2009 -- Northern Star Co. is recalling certain packages of its Simply Potatoes, Diners Choice, and Farm Fresh cut-and-bagged potato products sold in stores because of possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes bacteria.
The recall includes the following products, sold in stores including Albertsons, Food Lion, Giant, Harris Teeter, Kroger, Publix, Safeway, Stop Shop & Save, Walmart, Wegmans, and Winn Dixie.
- Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns -- 20-ounce bag UPC code 20169-22233
- Simply Potatoes Southwest Style Hash Browns -- 20-ounce bag UPC code 20169-22236
- Simply Potatoes Homestyle Slices -- 20-ounce bag UPC code 20169-22237
- Simply Potatoes Red Potato Wedges -- 20-ounce bag UPC code 20169-22238
- Diners Choice Shredded Hash Browns -- 2-pound bag UPC code 20169-22223
- Farm Fresh Shredded Hash Browns -- 16-ounce bag UPC code 20169-22533
No illnesses have been linked to the recalled products, according to a Northern Star news release.
Listeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, an infection that mainly affects the elderly, pregnant women, newborns, and people with weak immune systems. Infection during pregnancy can lead to miscarriage or stillbirth, premature delivery, or infection of the newborn, according to the CDC.
Northern Star notes that its potato products must be cooked and that proper cooking to an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit kills listeria bacteria. "However, consumers may return the product to the store where it was purchased for a full refund or replacement," states Northern Star.
For more information, call Northern Star's consumer hotline at 800-228-8105.