shock from an ICD hurts briefly. It's been described as feeling like a punch in
the chest. But the shock is a sign that the ICD is doing its job to keep your
heart beating. You won't feel any pain if the ICD uses electrical pulses to fix
a heart rate that is too fast or too slow.
There's no way to know
how often a shock might occur. It might never happen.
that the ICD could shock your heart when it shouldn't. You also might be afraid or worried about when the ICD might shock
you again. But you can take simple steps to feel better about having an ICD.
These include having your ICD checked regularly by your doctor and making an action plan for what to do if you get shocked.
How do I live a normal, healthy life with an ICD?
You can live a normal, healthy life with your ICD. A few tips for living well with your ICD include:
Avoid strong magnetic and electrical fields.
These can keep your device from working right. Most office
equipment and home appliances are safe to use. Learn which things you should
use with caution and which you should stay away from.
Know what to do when you get a shock from your ICD.
Be sure that
any doctor, dentist, or other health professional you see knows that you have an
Always carry a card in your wallet that tells
what kind of device you have. Wear medical alert jewelry that says you have an
Have your ICD checked regularly to
make sure it's working right.
It's common to be anxious that the ICD might shock you. But you can take steps to think positively and worry less about living with an ICD.