Gas, bloating, and burping
Gas, bloating, and
burping are usually harmless and go away without any treatment. If gas,
bloating, or burping is making you uncomfortable, take the following steps to
help manage your symptoms:
- Increase the amount of fluid you drink,
especially water. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic
- Take a medicine that you can buy without a
prescription. Be sure to follow the instructions on the label.
- Activated charcoal tablets, such as
CharcoCaps, may decrease odor from gas. Charcoal is usually taken after meals
or at the first sign of gas discomfort.
- Antacids, such as Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more easily.
But these medicines often have no effect on gas that is already in the
- Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the
sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods that cause you to
usually harmless and go away without any treatment. But if hiccups are making
you uncomfortable, the following safe and easy home remedies may help you
manage your symptoms.
- Swallow a teaspoon of dry granulated sugar. Do
not use this remedy if you have been diagnosed with
- Hold your breath, and count
slowly to 10.
- Breathe repeatedly into a paper bag for a limited
period of time.
- Quickly drink a glass of cold water.
Symptoms to watch for during home treatment
Call your doctor if any of the following occur during home
- Hiccups don't go away as expected or they return frequently.
become more severe or frequent.