Gas, Bloating, and Burping - Home Treatment
Gas, bloating, and burping
Gas, bloating, and burping are usually harmless and go away without any treatment. If gas, bloating, or burping is making you uncomfortable, take the following steps to help manage your symptoms:
- Increase the amount of fluid you drink, especially water. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages.
- Take a medicine that you can buy without a prescription. Be sure to follow the instructions on the label.
- Activated charcoal tablets, such as CharcoCaps, may decrease odor from gas. Charcoal is usually taken after meals or at the first sign of gas discomfort.
- Antacids, such as Maalox Anti-Gas and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more easily. But these medicines often have no effect on gas that is already in the intestines.
- Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods that cause you to have gas.
Hiccups are usually harmless and go away without any treatment. But if hiccups are making you uncomfortable, the following safe and easy home remedies may help you manage your symptoms.
- Swallow a teaspoon of dry granulated sugar. Do not use this remedy if you have been diagnosed with diabetes.
- Hold your breath, and count slowly to 10.
- Breathe repeatedly into a paper bag for a limited period of time.
- Quickly drink a glass of cold water.
Symptoms to watch for during home treatment
Call your doctor if any of the following occur during home treatment:
- Hiccups don't go away as expected or they return frequently.
- Swallowing problems are not improving.
- You continue to lose weight for no reason.
- Symptoms become more severe or frequent.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
November 14, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Gas, Bloating, and Burping Topics