Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
(1) Tim Platt / Iconica / Getty Images
(2) Maria Teijeiro / Digital Vision / Getty Images
(3) Ammentorp Photography / iStockphoto
(4) Stockbyte / Getty Images
(5) Silverstock / Digital Vision / Getty Images
(6) Southern Stock / Photonica / Getty Images
(7) A Bello / Riser / Getty Images
(8) A Bello / Riser / Getty Images
(9) © trbfoto / ArtLife Images
(10) © JIM BOORMAN / ArtLife Images
(11) © Juice Images / ArtLife Images
(12) Bill Minten / iStockphoto
(13) Dušan Zidar / iStockphoto
(14) Jose Luis Pelaez Inc / Blend Images / Getty Images
(15) Sean Justice / The Image Bank / Getty Images
(16) Fresh Food Images / Photolibrary
(17) James Darell / Stone / Getty Images
(18) Image Source / Getty Images
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute: "JNC 7 Express: The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure."
UpToDate.com: "Exercise in the treatment of hypertension."
WebMD Health News: "A Little Walking Cuts Blood Pressure."
American Heart Association: “Exercise and Fitness,” “Physical Activity in Your Daily Life,” “Your Blood Pressure Questions Answered: Potassium,” “Healthy Lifestyle,” “The Benefits of Daily Physical Activity,” “Start! Walking for a Healthier Lifestyle.”
Health.gov: "Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010."
Go RED for Women: “Know Your Numbers.”
Reviewed by James Beckerman, MD, FACC on August 18, 2015
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.