Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction that needs to be treated right away. If you have an anaphylactic reaction, you need an epinephrine (adrenaline) shot as soon as possible, and someone should call 911 for emergency medical help. Left untreated, it can be deadly.
THOMAS CHACKO: The difference
anaphylaxis can be
the life-threatening type,
meaning-- allergies, when people
think about it,
could be sneezing, hayfever,
or even asthma.
But anaphylaxis could be
those symptoms as well as more,
or low blood pressure;
wheezing to the point where you
loss of consciousness
or passing out.
is life-threatening or very
If it's a food allergy,
most people discover that when
they're younger once they had
the first or second time
of introduction to,
let's say, peanuts or some type
of tree nut.
Possibly other sources
like insect sting,
like, you know, people could be
life-threatening allergic to bee
That could be later because you
might not have been stung
by a bee earlier or it could be
your second time that you got
stung that you had
So it depends on what you're
Most of the time you don't grow
out of anaphylaxis.
With food allergies,
about 20% to 25% of patients
may grow out of it.
That means the vast majority--
80-- 80% or so-- will keep it.
So most people do not outgrow
I would say the mortality rates
are not going up, meaning we are
better now at identifying
anaphylaxis and people are much
So people aren't dying as much
Unfortunately, there still are
deaths but not as much
in the past because we're better
at being aware of it
as well as treating it.
Epinephrine can reverse the symptoms within minutes. If this doesn't happen, you may need a second shot within half an hour. These shots, which you need a prescription to get, come pre-filled and in ready-to-use pens.
You shouldn’t take an antihistamine for an anaphylactic reaction.
Anaphylaxis is rare, and most people recover from it. But it's important to tell your doctor about any drug allergies you have before any kind of medical treatment, including dental care. It’s also a good idea to wear a medical alert bracelet or pendant or carry a card with information about your allergy.
If you've had an anaphylactic reaction before, you have a higher risk of having another one. You also have a higher risk if you have a family history of anaphylaxis or have asthma.
There is usually more than one of these:
- Coughing; wheezing; and pain, itching, or tightness in your chest
- Fainting, dizziness, confusion, or weakness
- Hives; a rash; and itchy, swollen, or red skin
- Runny or stuffy nose and sneezing
- Shortness of breath or trouble breathing and rapid heartbeat
- Swollen or itchy lips or tongue
- Swollen or itchy throat, hoarse voice, trouble swallowing, tightness in your throat
- Vomiting, diarrhea, or cramps
- Weak pulse, paleness
Some people also remember feeling a "sense of doom” right before the attack.
As many as 1 out of every 5 people may have a second anaphylactic reaction within 12 hours of the first. This is called a biphasic anaphylaxis.
Epinephrine is the most effective treatment for anaphylaxis, and the shot should be given right away (usually in the thigh). If you’ve had an anaphylaxis reaction before, you should carry at least two doses of epinephrine with you at all times.
Epinephrine expires after about a year, so make sure your prescription is up to date. If you have an anaphylactic reaction and the pen has expired, take the shot anyway.
When medical personnel arrive, they may give you more epinephrine. If you’re not able to breathe, they may put a tube down your mouth or nose to help. If this doesn’t work, they might do a kind of surgery called a tracheostomy that puts the tube directly into your windpipe.
You probably will need to stay in the emergency room for several hours to make sure you don't have a second reaction.
After the initial emergency is over, see an allergy specialist, especially if you don't know what caused the reaction.
Anaphylaxis happens when you have an antibody, something that usually fights infection, that overreacts to something harmless like food. It might not happen the first time you come in contact with the trigger, but it can develop over time.
In children, the most common cause is food. For adults, the main cause is medication.
Typical food triggers for children are:
Common food triggers for adults are:
- Tree nuts (walnuts, hazel nuts, cashews, pistachios, pine nuts, and almonds)
Some people are so sensitive that even the smell of the food can trigger a reaction. Some are also allergic to certain preservatives in food.
Common medication triggers are:
- Penicillin (more often following a shot rather than a pill)
- Muscle relaxants like the ones used for anesthesia
- Aspirin, ibuprofen, and other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)
- Anti-seizure medications
Anaphylaxis also can be triggered by a few other things. But these aren’t as common:
Some people can have an anaphylactic reaction if they breathe in latex.
Some can have a reaction to a combination of things:
- Breathe in birch pollen and eat apple, raw potato, carrots, celery, or hazelnut
- Breathe in mugwort pollen and eat celery, apples, peanuts, or kiwi
- Breathe in ragweed pollen and eat melons or bananas
- Touch latex and eat papaya, chestnuts, or kiwi
Anaphylactic reactions usually start within minutes of contact with the trigger, but they can also happen an hour or more later.
Some people never figure out what caused their reactions.