Babies need a lot of gear. Your diaper bag is going to become your home away from home. Choose a bag with lots of pockets. You'll need them to fit all of your baby's needs, plus the contents of your purse. Easily accessible pockets will let you grab a diaper or your cell phone quickly when you need it.
To be ready to go at a moment's notice, keep your diaper bag stocked with:
- A portable changing pad
- Diapers (1 to 2 for every hour you plan to be out)
- Travel pack of disposable diaper wipes
- Plastic bags to wrap up dirty diapers or hold wet clothes
- Diaper rash ointment
- Cloths for burping or for covering boys during changes
- Small bottle of hand sanitizer
- Change of clothes for baby
- Hat for sunny or cold weather
- Baby blanket
- Clean bottles and formula (if you're bottle feeding)
- Baby toys or rattle
- A portable baby pouch
- Sunscreen (for babies over 6 months) Ask your pediatrician about sunscreen use for babies under 6 months, small amounts may be acceptable if needed.
Keep your baby in the shade, if possible. Their skin is thinner and more sensitive. Cover them up with clothes and a hat, limit their time in the sun (especially between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., when the sun is strongest), don’t let them get overheated, and get them out of the sun right away if they show any signs of sunburn or dehydration, including fussiness, redness, and excessive crying.