In many cases, personal habits can make a sleeping disorder like restless legs syndrome (RLS) worse. Sometimes they are the main cause of the problem.
Here are 10 steps you can take to lessen the symptoms of RLS and get you sleeping better:
- Avoid or limit alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine for at least several hours before bedtime.
- Review all the medications you take (prescription and nonprescription) with your doctor.
- Exercise every day.
- Stretch your legs at the beginning and end of each day.
- Massage your legs regularly.
- Avoid eating a heavy meal close to bedtime.
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule.
- Avoid daytime naps.
- Use your bed only for sleeping or sex.
- Try not to use bedtime as worry time.
- Have your blood tested for iron levels and kidney function.
- Soak your legs in warm water.