In some cases, personal habits can make a sleeping disorder like restless legs syndrome (RLS) worse. Sometimes they play a big role in the problem.
Here are 10 steps you can take to lessen the symptoms of RLS and get you sleeping better:
- Avoid or limit alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine for at least several hours before bedtime.
- Review all the medications you take (prescription and nonprescription) with your doctor.
- Exercise every day.
- Stretch your legs at the beginning and end of each day.
- Massage your legs regularly.
- Avoid eating a heavy meal close to bedtime.
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule.
- Avoid daytime naps.
- Use your bed only for sleeping or sex.
- Try not to use bedtime as worry time.
- Have your blood tested for iron levels and kidney function.
- Soak your legs in warm water before bedtime.