Sodium Fluoride-Pot Nitrate Paste
GENERIC NAME(S): Sodium Fluoride-Pot Nitrate
OTHER NAME(S): Sodium Fluoride-Pot Nitrate Paste
This medication is used to prevent cavities and to reduce pain from sensitive teeth (dentinal hypersensitivity). Sodium fluoride works by making the teeth stronger and more resistant to decay caused by acid and bacteria. Potassium nitrate works by calming the nerves in the teeth.
Do not use this medication in children younger than 6 years old unless directed by your doctor/dentist. Some products are not recommended for use in children younger than 12 years. Ask your doctor or dentist for more details about using this product safely in children. Caregivers/parents should watch the child to make sure the child does not swallow the medication while brushing.
How to use Sodium Fluoride-Pot Nitrate Paste
Use this medication as directed by your doctor/dentist, usually twice daily (in the morning and evening).
Use this medication in place of your regular toothpaste unless otherwise directed by your doctor/dentist. Apply at least a 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) strip of the medication to a soft-bristled toothbrush, and brush your teeth for at least 1 minute. Spit out the medication after use. Some products recommend rinsing your mouth thoroughly after use. If you are using the gel form of the toothpaste, children should rinse their mouth thoroughly right away after brushing. For adults, do not rinse your mouth, eat, or drink for at least 30 minutes after use to get the best results.
Do not swallow the medication. Make sure to brush all sensitive areas of the teeth.
Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same times each day.
Do not use this medication for longer than 4 weeks unless directed by your doctor/dentist. Sensitive/painful teeth may sometimes be a symptom of a serious problem that needs attention from a dentist.
Tell your doctor/dentist if your symptoms persist or worsen.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor/dentist or pharmacist.
In the US -
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor/dentist or pharmacist if you are allergic to sodium fluoride or potassium nitrate; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor/dentist or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: mouth problems (such as sores, mucositis).
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this medication.
Drug interactions may change how your medications work or increase your risk for serious side effects. This document does not contain all possible drug interactions. Keep a list of all the products you use (including prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines without your doctor's approval.
Some products that may interact with this drug include: other dental products.
This medication may be harmful if swallowed in large amounts. If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. Symptoms of overdose may include: burning in the mouth, sore tongue, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, increased saliva, stomach pain/cramping, muscle weakness, shaking, seizures.
Do not share this medication with others.
Using this medication does not replace good dental habits. Continue to floss your teeth regularly as directed by your dentist, and have regular dental checkups.
Sensitive teeth can be caused by damage to the hard outside surface of the tooth (enamel). Avoid acidic food/drinks (such as ginger ale, limes/lemons, citrus-based drinks, coffee), which can damage the tooth enamel. Consult your doctor/dentist for more details.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature away from heat. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company.Information last revised July 2016. Copyright(c) 2016 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.