What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering D-Tann HC Suspension to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Possibly Safe:
- Only When Necessary: NEONATAL WITHDRAWAL/RESP.DEPRESS. W/CHRONIC OR HIGH DOSE; SMALL TERATOGENIC RISK
- Only When Necessary: EVIDENCE FOR MALFORMATIONS; CAN REDUCE UTERINE BLOOD FLOW CAUSING FETAL HYPOXIA
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: MONITOR FOR CHANGES IN RESPIRATION, GI EFFECTS, SEDATION, FEEDING PATTERNS
- Precaution: ORAL BIOAVAILABILITY LOW; INFANT EXPOSURE MAY BE MINIMAL
- Precaution: LIMITED DATA SUGGEST INCREASED DROWSINESS, AND IRRITABILITY
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Cardiovascular-Elderly are more sensitive to tachycardia and hypertensive effects. May exacerbate symptomatic coronary insufficiency. Genitourinary-May cause urinary retention. Neuro/Psych-May worsen cognitive impairment in some elderly with dementia. Insomnia risk.
- management or monitoring precaution: Neuro/Psych-Anticholinergic effects may cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Maximum of 25mg/day. Cardiovascular-May cause orthostatic hypotension at higher doses. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Genitourinary-Best avoided in patients with urinary retention from any cause.
- management or monitoring precaution: Pulmonary-Life threatening respiratory depression is more likely to occur with high doses, SR products, cachexia, or debilitation due to altered pharmacokinetics with poor fat stores, muscle wasting, or altered clearance. Monitor closely at initiation and with dose titration. Neuro/Psych-Risk for increased confusion and delirium. May increase fall risk. Avoid treatment with 3 or more CNS active drugs. Gastrointestinal-Constipation risk. Urogenital-Urinary retention risk.
Giving D-Tann HC Suspension to a child under 12
- Contraindication: Risk of respiratory depression, breathing problems. Contraindicated age< 6 years.
- Severe Precaution: Risk of respiratory depression, slowed or difficult breathing, and exposure to the risk of addiction with misuse and abuse. Not indicated in pediatrics.
- Contraindication: Do not use unless as directed by clinician consultation. Risk of adverse CNS effects include sedation or paradoxical excitation.
- Contraindication: Possible risk of CNS excitation, convulsions in newborns.
- Contraindication: Risk of CNS excitation. Do not use age <6 years without clinician consult.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.