What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Levofloxacin Vial to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- FDB Only When Necessary: AVAILABLE HUMAN DATA SUGGEST DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY RISK IS LOW.
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: LIMITED DATA SUGGEST LOW AMOUNTS EXCRETED,W/NO KNOWN ADVERSE EFFECT IN INFANT
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Endocrine-Risk for hypoglycemia in diabetics. Musculoskeletal-Risk for tendinitis and tendon rupture increases with concomitant corticosteroid use. Cardiovascular-Elderly may be more susceptible to QT-prolongation. Monitor and correct electrolytes (e.g., K, Mg). Increased rate of aortic aneurysm and dissection within 2 months of use, Neuro/Psych-Risk for peripheral neuropathy which may affect walking and increase fall risk. CNS stimulation may occur (confusion, anxiety, insomnia).
Giving Levofloxacin Vial to a child under 12
- management or monitoring precaution: Increased risk of musculoskeletal disorder, tendinopathy. Risk-benefit appropriate only for inhalational anthrax and plague.
- Severe Precaution: Increased risk of musculoskeletal disorders. Tablet dose form not suitable for weight < 30 kg.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.