Methadone/Selected Strong CYP3A4 Inducers Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
When these two medicines are taken together, your body may process methadone more quickly.
What might happen:
Your blood levels of methadone may decrease and it may not work as well. You may experience drug withdrawal symptoms.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. If your methadone does not seem to be working as well, contact your healthcare professionals. If you experience nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea, irritability, sleep disturbances, or other symptoms, contact your healthcare professionals. Your doctor may want to adjust the dose of your methadone.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Raistrick D, Hay A, Wolff K. Methadone maintenance and tuberculosis treatment. BMJ 1996 Oct 12;313(7062):925-6.
- 2.Holmes VF. Rifampin-induced methadone withdrawal in AIDS. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1990 Dec;10(6):443-4.
- 3.Kreek MJ, Garfield JW, Gutjahr CL, Giusti LM. Rifampin-induced methadone withdrawal. N Engl J Med 1976 May 13;294(20):1104-6.
- 4.Bending MR, Skacel PO. Rifampicin and methadone withdrawal. Lancet 1977 Jun 4;1(8023):1211.
- 5.Garfield JW, Kreek MJ, Giusti L. Rifampin-methadone relationship. 1. The clinical effects of rifampin-methadone interaction. Am Rev Respir Dis 1975;3:926.
- 6.Kreek MJ, Garfield JW, Gutjahr CL, Bowen D, Field F, Rothschild M. Rifampin-methadone relationship. 2. Rifampin effects on plasma concentration, metabolism, and excretion of methadone. Am Rev Respir Dis 1975;3:926-927.
- 7.Tong TG, Pond SM, Kreek MJ, Jaffery NF, Benowitz NL. Phenytoin-induced methadone withdrawal. Ann Intern Med 1981 Mar;94(3):349-51.
- 8.Eich-Hochli D, Oppliger R, Golay KP, Baumann P, Eap CB. Methadone maintenance treatment and St. John's Wort - a case report. Pharmacopsychiatry 2003 Jan;36(1):35-7.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.