What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering ONDANSETRON ODT to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Not Recommended:
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: INSUFFICIENT HUMAN DATA AVAILABLE
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Cardiovascular- Limit initial IV doses to no more than 8 mg for age>74 and no more than 16 mg for ages 66-74. Subsequent doses must not exceed 8 mg and given no sooner than 4-8 hours later. Infuse over a minimum of 15 min. The elderly are more prone to QT prolongation due to multiple meds and iatrogenic hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia; correct electrolytes before giving oral or IV ondansetron. Neuro/Psych-The elderly may be more prone to extrapyramidal reactions associated with IV doses.
Giving Haloperidol to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Limited safety and efficacy data age < 4 years.
- Severe Precaution: Limited information age < 30 days. Longer half-life in infants. Monitor closely.
- Severe Precaution: Longer half-life in age < 4 months. Monitor closely.
Free RX Coupon
Save up to 80% on your prescriptions.
Save up to 80% on your prescription with WebMDRx
You Might Also Like
Are you currently using ondansetron ODT?
This survey is being conducted by the WebMD marketing sciences department.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.